Huerquehue National Park


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
March 30th 2013
Published: April 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hi everybody,



Our first outing in Pucon was hiking the beautiful Huerquehue National park about 50 Kms from base.

The funny thing in Pucon is even though they are surrounded by National Parks and camping opportunities for locals and tourists alike, there are actually no tents to be found for rent anywhere in the city (we thought renting would be more convenient for us on our journey in South America), Carmen and I spent hours asking every tour agency without success. Resigned to a couple of day hikes I headed to the Rangers administration office in Pucon to request a map and after hearing the difficulty we were having the Park administrator kindly offered us to stay in the ranger's dome at the campsite.

With both our sleeping back and food we set off for a 2 day hike inside some of the most ancient forests that exists we took our seat on the 8.30am bus to the park entrance.

Over the 2 days we were greeted with some beautiful vistas, we started off in foggy conditions which made some of the views over the first lake we encountered quite mystical. Further along the sun started to shine a lot more and we were able to appreciate the wonderful colors of the forest and larger lakes that we saw.

This hike was also my very first encounter with woodpeckers, apart from watching Woody on TV as a child I had actually never saw the incredible bird in action. As we were walking we would suddenly hear this "knock knock" and find the funny animal digging in for food in the trees themselves.

We reached Mirador Renahue which was the highlight of the trails with its far distant view of the park, lake and also peaks.

The night in the Domo was cold, it's a lot harder to warm a gigantic tent with two people than the standard 2 bed we would normally use, we walk up early the next day and the moon stayed with us for quite a few hours after sunrise. A pleasant journey back down the park and back to Pucon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Huerquehue campingHuerquehue camping
Huerquehue camping

Don't ask...
HuerquehueHuerquehue
Huerquehue

Early morning start with the moon
Huerquehue - Lagune HuerquehueHuerquehue - Lagune Huerquehue
Huerquehue - Lagune Huerquehue

It's not Nessy's bones, but a funny tree shapre.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb