The Lake District


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
November 21st 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Having just finished our little trip through Chile's "Lake District" we thought we'd show you a few pictures of our travels.

The Lake District is a relatively small section of Chile (between Temuco and Puerto Montt if you have the time, inclination, or Google Earth on which to search them out) that features many lakes, mountains, and volcanoes. It was one area of our trip that we were particularly looking forward to and, despite rubbish weather for a day or two, it didn't disappoint us.


To help us on our way through the area we hired a mighty Toyota Yaris (1000cc of raging power). It's not a bad car actually, except some silly bugger in the design department at Toyota had the daft idea of putting the speedo right in the middle of the dashboard, so one's front-seat passenger can see exactly what speed you're doing all the time ("errr, this is a 80 limit you know").

Although a lot of the roads are paved, there are many that are just gravel and dust, and the the poor little Toyota had a tough time on a couple of occasions, trying to pull us up a gravelly hill.
Lake RancoLake RancoLake Ranco

This is our blog's "Spot the Ball" competition.
But, as everyone knows, rental cars can go places that no other cars can, and despite a few "bumpy" moments we, and the car, survived intact.


The scenery in the lake district is stunning - crystal clear lakes overlooked by majestic snow-capped volcanoes. And where there are no volcanoes there's usually a mountain or two to take their place. We walked up the base of an active volcano (called Osorno, last eruption 1827) and we could clearly see the paths that the rivers of molten mag-ma had left on the land.

One or two areas were particularly nice: Lake Llanquihue and Lagos Todos Los Santos (All Saint's Lakes) spring to mind. It's difficult to describe the area without boring all you folks reading this, so you'll just have to make do with the pictures!


We are off down south soon (Punta Arenas), where Bridget thinks Auntie Peggy's red gloves will come into their own. Jez thinks the half-bottle of cheap whisky he bought will be come into it's own.

Bye for now
Lots of love,
Jez and Bridge
xxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

WoodpeckerWoodpecker
Woodpecker

Sorry, not much more we can add about this chap. Maybe one of the twitchers can help?
FishFish
Fish

Sorry, not much more we can add about this chap. Maybe one of the fishermen can help ?


22nd November 2007

Love getting your updates, check everyday!! Still loving the humour, glad to see you still have it with you!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb