The Lunar Experience


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

San Pedro is a quiet dusty town in the north of Chile, in the middle of the desert. It is so hot here and really really dry. It has some amazing natural wonders, volcanoes, geysers and the valley of the moon, land which is apparently similar to the moon (so similar that NASA come here to test out their equipment).

We are not here for long, just enough time to see the valley of the moon.
It was amazing, the landscape like nothing I have seen before. We walked along the valley and into crevices, we ran down sand dunes - sinking into them as we went down. It was lots of fun. We climbed to the highest place to watch the sunset and it was stunning. As soon as the sun went down the sand that was baking hot, suddenly became really cold.. but that’s the desert… unbearably hot in the day and cold at night.

Another problem with the desert….. there is no water in San Pedro after dark and in the morning…… which is bad news when you need to shower and know that you cant for another few days because you are going on a camping adventure.. Oh well, I suppose it’s a small price to pay....



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb