Now we find out if we really are men!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Aisén » Carretera Austral
January 29th 2010
Published: January 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Now starts the real adventure and why we came to Chile. THE CARRETERA AUSTRAL.

Simon and I read the below in a book and we just looked at each other and said “Let’s drive it”

“Travelling along the Carretera Austral is one of the greatest journeys South America has to offer.
The Carretera is largely an unpaved, gravel, single track RIPIO road stretching almost 1200km through spectacular ever-changing scenery and with similar length of branch roads to the fjords or the Andes Mountains of Patagonia beyond.


Before the opening of the road in1995 (it took 20 years to build) this part of deep southern Chile was inaccessible; it remains breathtaking.


The journey will take you past trees growing out of vertical cliffs, impenetrably thick millennial forests and burned pastures dotted with glacial debris; innumerable waterfalls rushing right down to the roads edge, while spiralling volcanoes and sparkling glaciers feed turquoise lakes and fast flowing rivers , all rich with southern Chile’s unique flora.


The road is only open in Jan and Feb and even then can be washed away by 100 mph gales and ever changing weather as it straddles the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans"



So that’s what we are doing for the next 6 days.

We have, food, water, spare petrol tanks, spare wheels, a four wheel drive, cash, maps and a sense of the unknown.

We have no idea if we can get onto the internet because the road and region is not populated so we may go quite for a while.


Eat your heart out TOP GEAR team ( Brits will understand) we are going there before you!

YEEEEHAAA




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st January 2010

Jealous
Freddye and I were in Pataogonia three years ago staying here: http://www.explora.com/explora-patagonia/ Highly recommended. Rivals NZ for beauty. Besafe. gb
31st January 2010

Hey Gary. You holyidayed with Freedie here....How good is that. Just knew you two had been here, past a wooden coffee shed called Colerado and thought of you two. Feel I am in another planet Olivier has been following to,,, He is a good man Best to you both Ant

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb