Incredible Igaussu


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
April 18th 2012
Published: June 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Night bus from hellThe Night bus from hellThe Night bus from hell

Let the journey commence
We take a night bus to Igaussu, we have not been warned how cold it will be. The driver seems to need the airconditioning on "arctic" the whole time - with the exception of the dubious toilet at the back of the bus which feels like an inferno. To make matters worse a wizened old crone sits up with Sabrina and spends some of the time stroking tour members hair, sitting in the aisle and sleeping with her head in the lap of the kiwis.

Despite all of this i remember how much i like travelling...and thanks to a sleeping tablet actually manage to get 5 hours sleep. Although some of the group feel restless at such long trips i really enjoy the feeling of being in transit.. in limbo and between destinations. I wonder if it comes from making long trips with my parents when i was little as an only child? the drive from Calais down to the South of France with me sitting in the back of a car was a particularly gruelling one but maybe that´s where i got used to retreating into my own little world. A place where i can be completely alone with
Alfresco.Alfresco.Alfresco.

Would you trust information from this man? No. Neither did we.
my thoughts. (This is particularly anti social when its just me and someone else driving in a car...or going for a walk with someone! hahaha)

The Brazilian side of the Igaussu falls is where you get the distant but panoramic shots of the waterfalls from. I have been really lookng forward to the boat trip that takes you right up to the falls but as luck would have it (well my luck anyway!) there isn´t enough water at the bloody waterfalls this time for the boat rides to run.

The next day we travel across a bridge to the Argentinian side of the falls. The bridge is painted in the flag colours of both nations - half and half.

It is cold on the Argentinian side. We complain to Alfresco and he shrugs sympathetically. Luckily our driver is also a tour guide and introduces us to the falls this side. Then he says¨:

" I´ve checked the weather forecast and it will be around 40 degrees later so please don.t forget to put on some suncream."

A tour guide - with information at his finger tips. Someone who has prepared for the day in advance and checked the weather forecast???? its unprecedented.

"yes ! " says Alfresco beaming and giving us the thumbs up. As clueless as the rest of us when it came to knowing what the day might hold...

If you are lucky enough to visit the falls but can only do one side i would recommend the Argentinian side. Its where you can get up close and personal with the waterfalls and follow little walkways right up into the spray from Devils Mouth. Luckily he brushed his teeth.

And it really is beautiful, the sun and the spray creating arcs of rainbows everywhere you look.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb