Florianopolis and the Island of Santa Catarina


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Santa Catarina » Florianópolis
October 8th 2012
Published: October 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Barra Beach Club HostelBarra Beach Club HostelBarra Beach Club Hostel

View from our bedroom window
We arrived at Florainonopolis to a grey wet day but as we crossed the bridge from the main land to the island of Santa Catarina the beauitful coastal scenery was enough to forget the grotty weather. We checked into a our hostel which had a sea view from all rooms, very friendly staff who gave us advice of what to see and do on the island.

You have to cross a metal bridge from the main land of the island to get to our hostel as there is a salt water lagoon in the the centre of the island with a tidal outlet at the place we were staying Barra da Lagoa

We took a hike from our hostel up a trail/path in the hillside behind the hostel after a steep climb up we eventually reached a path which ran along the tops of the hills where you can see the small town, the lagoon in the centre and the alantic sea to the other side the views are amazing. There are lots of orchids growing on the rocks and in between the cactus with small black vultures soaring high in the blue sky above us we jokingly said
Barra da LagoaBarra da LagoaBarra da Lagoa

View from hike across the hills behind the hostel
waiting for one of us to drop as it was quite hot and a bit hard going at times. The rocks are huge and smooth and at some pionts there are climbing fastening points for climbers to use.

We made our way down the path towards the large sandy beach, on the way we saw long lines of leaf cutting ants going about thier buisness carrying large peices of leaves on thier backs it was fascinating to watch normally we have only seen them in glasses boxes at a zoo. Then we were extra carefull as we walked so as not to step on them as we went. The beach was long sandy and deserted conitnued to the end where you have to follow the coastal path to another beach which is popular for surfers as the waves are big and powerful.

In the middle of the island is a huge salt water lagoon, 1 mile wide and ten long, the shores are have a few small villages and restaurants which can only be reached by a small ferry service which runs non stop, 10 brazilian real buys a ticket to any destination and back, we found a
Galata BeachGalata BeachGalata Beach

Deserted beach
small restaurant about half way round, (if you like seafood a good destination) and ordered the (Buba Gump) shrimps, a huge platter which we nearly finished when the waiter arrived with plates of fish, rice, chips and a strange gravy. (we did our best)

The Barra Beach Club hostel supplies surf boards, wet suits, boogie boards and a sand board all for free, we tried our hand at surfing but after battling out through the waves only to get wiped out by a huge 3mt high wave a few times we gave up and changed to boogie boards which proved easyer to use.

The hostel told us about a restaurant and a 3 hour hike to a deserted beach in the south of the island, we had to catch three differant buses to get there, as we arrived at lunchtime we deceided to go to the restaurant first, the whole ceiling and walls were covered in small notes, the tradition was started by the local fishermen when they went to sea they would write a note to their loved ones and pin it to the ceiling for luck or for the wife/mother if they did not return, most of thenotes we saw were written by tourists, but the effect was amazing. We chose the eat all you can fish buffet (yes we know what you are thinking) every type of fish cooked every type of way, mussels about 4 inches long and 10 differant puddings, anyway 3 mains each and 2 puddings washed down with local beer the only walk we managed was along the sandy beach to well earned 2 hour siesta.

We booked for 6 nights but ended up staying 8 thanks to the man from Delhi who blocked our cards again, but we could have stayed longer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lagoon boatLagoon boat
Lagoon boat

Thats my boat "Jenny"
Bubba Gump ShrimpsBubba Gump Shrimps
Bubba Gump Shrimps

This was the starter
Fisherman's restaurantFisherman's restaurant
Fisherman's restaurant

Paper notes covering the ceiling
Seafood heavenSeafood heaven
Seafood heaven

Yes more food pictures
On the beachOn the beach
On the beach

This was our walk
Fisherman's restaurantFisherman's restaurant
Fisherman's restaurant

Table with a view


15th October 2012

u lucky people!!!
Hi ya, looks like u two are still having an amazing time!! the beaches look fantastic, would have loved to have seen u surfing!! Have fun, miss u!! xx
20th October 2012

Amazing, Amazing seen some incredible sights already. What kind people have you met? Is it easy to get around, looks a lot nicer weather than here.
20th October 2012

Traveling
Hi Linda nice to hear from you, how was the wedding? How's the brats and Bournemouth ? We have met many people in the hostels from all corners of the globe, most are friendly, we bond best when cooking meals, people seem to talk more in kitchens. Traveling and moving about is so cheap and easy, we use the night buses as flight is expensive, with the night bus the seats go almost flat so you can sleep, and over night you would normally be in a hostel so sleeping on a bus saves a nights hostel fee and they feed you as well. Our longest was 22 hours non stop, but watched three films and slept and of course you can see the amazing scenery. Tuesday night we are moving on to Puerto Madryn to see the whales, penguins and seals and then down to the tip of South America , glad you are getting the blogs some people have not, but I think they need to check their spam See you next year Michael & Alison xx love to all xx :-)
29th October 2012

Falls and Fish
Loved the last two blogs! The Falls looked amazing! Where did you put all that food,no wonder you had to lie down after that lot!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb