Florianopolis


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Not sure why our flights both to and back from Florianopolis were in the middle of the night, but it all worked out. We arrived very tired early in the morning on Thursday, Feb 23. My friend Steve, his wife Tunica and Max (their 2 year old), were not coming until the next day...they said the maid would let us in the house eventually, and she did. Locked out for most of the day, however, we napped by and swam in the glorious pool- peering inside the house of windows at the ample comforts within. Wow! This was my friend's beach house! In fact the house is on the *cover* of a Brazilian Architectural magazine. We checked out the beach just across the street (AWESOME!) and had some Lula Milanesa (Fried Calamari). Later that night, we dined finely at Magnificos.

Next day Steve and family arrived after we had already been enjoying the spacious, exquisite accomodations with maids and cooks alike. Mark and I had taken a surf lesson as well, and I'm glad we did b/c the rest of the time we were there, waves and currents nearly kept us off the boards. That night we had Thai and the best drinks ever- Green Thai Mojitos! yum.

Alex and his wife and their 3 year old daughter arrived Saturday. He's British, she's Brazilian. Both were gorgeous and delightful!

The days were all nearly the same. We had bfast at the house, strolled to the beach and set up camp with chairs and umbrellas. The beach was perfect- perfect sand, perfect water to play in--big waves, beautiful color and clarity, perfect temperature. Steve, Karma and I would contemplate surfing, watching the waves and currents drag people out and pull them under... There were a few lifeguard scares in fact. Steve broke his board in half the first time he went out! We played with Max. He was a hoot.

On Sunday, the Leiningers hosted a barbeque and neighbors and friends came by. Including Charlie, the young British friend of Alex's. Trouble with a capital C. We partied all afternoon and some of us made it out to Latitude, the nearby nightclub. We staggered our returns to the house- Steve and Tuni had the car, I walked home later, Martha and Charlie hitchhiked, and Mark made it home by 5 or 6, gosh knows how (maybe the bus?).

We hiked, played tennis, availed ourselves of the house-calling masseuse and manicurist. I bought and wore two Brazilian bikinis (somehow they are actually good for body image cuz I felt fine in mine). We got rediculously tan, in spite of loads and loads of sunscreen applications. See the pics- they tell the story better.

Mark and Martha: "we gotta find Car-O-Li-na, da da da da Ga-so-li-na, da da da da Ga-so-li-na"


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Beach Gettin CrowdedBeach Gettin Crowded
Beach Gettin Crowded

(It was Carnival in Brazil!)
Good TimesGood Times
Good Times

Mark and Steve
MaxMax
Max

This guy is so not fun (Riiiight)


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb