Ilha Grande and Paraty Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
July 12th 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Ilha Grande on the 2nd of July, just off the coast of Rio State, A tropical island that was very peaceful due to the fact there were no cars on the island and the village only had a small population. We didnĀ“t have great weather but we just relaxed, took some walks and enjoyed the laid back lifestyle, I did a walk to Lopez Mendez beach which was nice but tough I left Deb with her book and the beach. It was a weekend and there was a small festival with music, barracas (stalls) and even a bit of dancing by a group of young Brazilians which was great, they really make us gringos look like we have not an ounce of rhythm. We became aquainted with nearly every dog and even knew the town drunk all within four nights.
On to Paraty further south, an old colonial town and lots of charm, strolling around eating sweets of all kinds (most the time not even sure what they are). We got some fine days and explored a beach or two and did a great boat trip on the bay, some islands and idylic little beaches.
Still struggling with the Portuguese, but our posada host was Belgian so we were lucky. One of the days I went to a local football game, it was a bit of a laugh. The guy whos house overlooks the pitch sits on the balcony, he even moved his television out to face the crowd so we could watch a big game on TV. The kids love kites here, I think its a game they play where they try to cut one anothers line while the kites are in the sky. But I was always tripping over lines on the ground,
We found a great place Trindade a bus trip away where the beaches were great and plenty of people around enjoying themselves. I also went to a National Park and found the Cachoeira do Toboga, where the waterfall is over rocks that are constantly moss covered and it makes for a great waterslide. I enjoyed a good few slides down. Long trip to Manaus next! Very hurried here so Ill leave it at that.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb