Favela Rocinha


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Favelas are regions of big cities in Brazil, where the poorest population leaves, and considered the most dangerous places to be in.
Local bands control the favela, and the police is usually afraid to enter a favela, and if it does enter it - only in big forces.

My hostel organized a tour to one of the favelas in Rio, with a local guide.
This is absolutely safe, as he has an agreement of protection with the locals, and the locals are interested for tourist to come in.
I was at first concerned about it, but when I heard from everyone that it is absolutely safe, and that this tour was proposed in many hostels, and from people who did it that it was great, I decided to sign up, and wasn't sorry about it.
Actually this tour was an experience which had the greatest impact on me, since the beginning of my travel.

What stroke me the most were the so many contradictions:
-The favela is located in a beautiful place, surrounded by forest and mountains, and the view from within the favela is stunning - but the insides of it are so horrible - trash, open sewage flowing on the streets, half destroyed buildings.
-Right next to the favela is one of the better neighborhoods of Rio.
-Most of the people live in bad conditions, but the children are really happy, and even some adults are. It's really amazing. You can have absolutely nothing and still be happy! I always believed that money has no connection to happiness - and here is the proof.
-In most houses there is a TV, although there might be no food.

The organizers of the tour return part of the money to the community, so it felt really good to help in some way to the people there. Their organization has built a day care center for small children which are in the worst conditions, and helped developing a local art center that helps local artist and trains children.

There was even some action during our tour - the police has entered the favela, so the locals fired fireworks to worn all the people that the police is coming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

View from a roof in the favelaView from a roof in the favela
View from a roof in the favela

You can see in distance the good neighborhood
Ada signatureAda signature
Ada signature

This is the signature of the local gangsters that rule the favela.
GraffitiGraffiti
Graffiti

By local artists
DrummersDrummers
Drummers

The kids pulled a show for us
A fruit treeA fruit tree
A fruit tree

Grows in the favela. The locals eat its fruits.


3rd April 2006

School Project
I found this interesting as im doing Brazil and the shanty towns for my year 8 end of term project and this really helped thanks
27th January 2007

Favela
Thanks I really liked this. I am in Year 9 and we are learning about favelas in geography.
4th February 2008

Thank You!
I Found this incredibly Useful. As I Am Doing a year 8 project on it. Thank You. (:

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 86; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb