Rio Day Two


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro
February 10th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=qFh1Cimc7AM]On Tuesday morning we started an eight hour tour of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with our tour director, Zeca. Zeca was from Rio and would be with us all five days and did an outstanding job. Our first stop was at Corcovado where we rode the train to the top of the mountain. Atop the mountain stands the inspiring Christ the Redeemer statue. Unfortunately visability on top of the mountain was very poor and we did not get to see much of the famous view. It was nice a sunny on top but there were clouds below us and we didn't get to see a whole lot except for the beautiful statue itself.

Next we drove into downtown Rio where we stopped at the cone-shaped Metropolitan Cathedral. The Cathedral was our only stop in downtown. We were able to see a little more downtown from the bus as we headed to lunch. We ate at a barbecue restaurant. They brought skewer after skewer of every meat imaginable to the tables. Once they had us all fattened p it was time to head over to Sugarloaf Mountain. Sugarloaf Mountain is a peak at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean. You have to take two different cable cars to get to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain. The first cable car takes you to the top of Urca Mountain. The visability was better than at Corcovado, but the view was still limited.

After a good time at Sugarloaf Mountain we headed back to the hotel. We passed by the famous Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches on the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb