Sugarloaf Mountain


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Leblon
January 5th 2014
Published: January 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After such an early start yesterday, today we decided to treat ourselves to a lie in (8am). We did our usual pre departure routine of packing the back pack with 3 litres of frozen water bottles 4 sun creams and our towels and headed off for a morning on our local beach.

A couple of hours later, after our ice blocks had melted and been drunk we decided we had had enough of the sun and headed back up to the apartment for a quick shower and to get ready for the afternoon.

Freshened up and back pack reloaded, we headed off to Urca area of Rio...the home to Sugarloaf Mountain. Things once again went surprisingly smoothly getting there and as we wanted to see sunset from the top we quickly realised we had some serious time to kill! Following a quick rendezvous with the tourist information desk off we set with map in hand to see the surrounding area with the target of a nice cold beer at the end of the walk.

After two small beaches, a nice neighbourhood and a road around the harbour with amazing views of Christ the Redeemer and Surgarloaf, we arrived at a small bar come restaurant called Bar Urca with people lining the waters edge with a beer in hand. We sat sipping a couple of beers for a couple of hours and even treated ourselves to one of there apparently famed pastries (it's was good!).

With just enough time still to spare we headed back round the block to the bottom of sugarloaf to catch the two cable cars to the top of Sugarloaf. To our amazement there was not a single person in the queue in front of us and we headed straight up. Unlike Christ the Redeemer, we were not greeted by hundreds of frenzied tourist desperate for that one perfect picture, but instead a feeling of calm and tranquility with even more spectacular views. With plenty of time before sunset, we grabbed prime position for sun set and chilled out until the sun went down. It was truly unforgettable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



7th January 2014
image

Lovely photos
stunning
8th January 2014

cockney Rich/MacGem
Thanks for the blog. Nice to know that you arrived safely and are enjoying yourselves. Really looking forward to the jungle trips. Love Grandad XXX

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb