Background: Following three centuries under the rule of Portugal, Brazil became an independent nation in 1822. By far the largest and most populous country in South America, Brazil overcame more than half a century of military intervention in the governance of the country when in 1985 the military regime peacefully ceded power to civilian rulers. Brazil continues to pursue industrial and agricultural growth and development of its interior. Exploiting vast natural resources and a large labor pool, it is today South America's leading economic power and a regional leader. Highly unequal income distribution remains a pressing problem.
Photos from Leblon
Blogs from Leblon
Latest Blogs from Leblon
- November 2nd 2012 Rio - Rochina favela tour
by Words: 1259 Photos: 7
- April 15th 2012 Iguazu falls
by Words: 6 Photos: 44
- April 6th 2012 Rio de Janeiro - 30 mars au 3 avril
by Words: 1168 Photos: 35
- February 21st 2012 Rio Carnival
by Words: 299 Photos: 0
- March 7th 2011 Rie de Janero
by Words: 797 Photos: 23
- September 11th 2010 Rocinha
by Words: 2177 Photos: 30
- July 6th 2010 Rio De Janeiro
by Words: 815 Photos: 32
- December 3rd 2009 Is it a hot flash or is it Rio?
by Words: 641 Photos: 23
- March 26th 2009 Just before I leave...
by Words: 25 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2009 Where to begin!!
by Words: 9 Photos: 4
- February 20th 2009 South American Dining Habits
by Words: 724 Photos: 0
- February 18th 2009 RIO!!
by Words: 594 Photos: 4
- January 8th 2009 And so I left...
by Words: 320 Photos: 5
- September 8th 2008 So Long South America
by Words: 323 Photos: 0
- July 22nd 2008 Is there a taxi that goes to the Jesus?
by Words: 634 Photos: 9
- July 17th 2008 The prince and the pauper...
by Words: 350 Photos: 4
- May 28th 2008 Caipirinhas and rip tides in Rio!
by Words: 315 Photos: 0
- December 7th 2007 Rio de Janeiro - A Cidade Maravilhosa
by Words: 2139 Photos: 47