Arrival in Rio de Janeiro


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
February 26th 2014
Published: March 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This is the first blog either of us have ever kept and we'll try to update it when we can. We hope to make it as helpful to people looking to travel South America as possible.

After arriving at Heathrow with 2.5hours before the flight left we were left very stressed because the airline refused to allow us to fly without proof we were leaving Brazil within 90 days. We explained our whole trip wouldn't be 90 days and therefore wouldn't require a visa (we checked). We had also booked Machu Pichu in Peru for the end of April again proving we wouldn't be in Brazil, but they wanted confirmed transportation out of Brazil in 90 days. We spent over an hour searching for buses or flights. The flights were really expensive even to the surrounding countries and the bus searches turned up only internal services. A couple of girls saved us by telling us about a bus from Florianopolis to Foz do Iguaçu which cost US$154 for the two of us. (Turns out this is still technically in Brazil, which Alex would like to add she queried at the time, but it was sufficient for the airline, Alitalia, to let us board). Be aware of this and check with your airline. If in doubt, book a bus out.

Obviously the fact the bus we had booked didn't actually leave Brazil left us worried for the 16hr journey to Rio. When I say 'left us worried' I mean it left me worried. Alex slept for an impressive 7.5hrs of the 12hour flight from Rome to Rio. After all the fuss the airline caused no questions were asked at passport control and we sailed through to collect our bags that had made the connection as well, phew!

Really easy to locate bus stop and bus just outside the airport to Copacabana. R$13.50 per person so no need to get a taxi or book a transfer before you go, you'll only sit in the same traffic. Quite luxurious bus with plush seats, good air con and a helpful driver that made sure we got off at the right time. A quick 5 minute walk from the drop off at the metro and we were at the Che Lagarto Hostel on Rua Barata Ribeiro, a few blocks from the Copacabana beach. Couldn´t check in until 2:00pm (at this point it was 8:00am) but the helpful staff let us put our bags in the locked luggage room and get changed. A little tired and warm (Alex was obviously wide awake after a full nights sleep) we were off to start our trip!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb