Ilha Grande - the RAINforest island


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
December 11th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After bidding farewell to Rio, we were on our way to Ilha Grande, an island off of the coast about 2 hours drive South.

Our 4 days on Ilha Grande were wet wet wet!! Arriving on Sat (4th) with clear blue skies I was very excited to get some beach time as Max had described it as ¨paradise on earth¨.

Our hostel, Overnativa, was lovely and really cheap! Plus we had air-con for the first time which was amazing!!

The first day was spent sitting on the local beach but it was cloudy, whilst James played football with some of the local boys. The second was a wash out - literally!! Torrential rain for the entire day so we chilled out at the hostel with a film and played pool and cards.

The third day was cloudy, but not raining so we decided to take a hike to one of the other beaches. There are no cars on Ilha Grande but there are a number of nature trails to various beaches. We chose the shortest route as the paths would be muddy, however this was still 1.5 hours away, up a jungle mountain!! it´s safe to say that after 3 hours of trekking (there and back) in the heat, I was not happy!!

As there are no cash points on the island, by the 4th day we had run out of cash to stay so we headed off to our next destination, Paraty, in the blazing sunshine (typical)!

Despite the rain, Ilha Grande was beautiful and the shops/restaurants were so colourful! There was also A LOT of blue crabs, which are on the pics!! It would have been lovely to spend a few extra days but the show must go on!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th December 2010
Horse standing on a wooden platform on the Brazillian motorway - as you do!!

:)
Besttt photo soo farrr lol x
12th December 2010
ilha grande 008

:)
Niceee shooesss ! phaha
12th December 2010
Just chilling on the Catamaran back

:)
Cacthhh that tann :) x
13th December 2010
ilha grande 008

James of the Jungle
What a poser - look like this should be in a calendar

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb