Buzios


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Búzios
April 11th 2007
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ahhhh...brazil. for all of you that have never been to this unique country i suggest you rent the SIMPSONS IN BRAZIL episode or check it out here: (http://s25.quicksharing.com/v/8503513/The_Simpsons_Go_to_Brazil.mpg.html)
thanks to Alberto...it gives you a glimpse of the stereotypical qualities that make this place so different from anywhere else in the world. After enjoying a short week in rio...which we will post soon...we headed north to the small beach lined peninsula of buzios. this weekend and summer hot-spot for the brazilians and argentines has changed greatly since i (shane) was here last in '03. the one street of vendors and restaurants has grown to 3 at least and high fashion stores with matching prices have replaced the beachwear only shops. what hasn~t changed is the amazing cobblestone streets that allow strolls along the town~s waterfront that harbors colorful fishing boats and sailing vessels. i was told once that the city supplied the brightly colored paint to locals with boats to add to the harbors charm...and it does. i went back to see where paulie and i once rented a couple rooms in the center of town, only to find out the nightly rates had risen 1000%. needless to say, we weren~t enjoying the hospitality of that little pousada on this trip but we did find one nearby and equally as quaint and convenient with a view. we spent our days taking walks out to the numerous beaches offering different scenes for the likes of all. whether it~s calm waters, 10 foot waves, gentle breezes or gail force winds...each beach brought it~s own identity and usually unpronouncable name....dang that portugese is hard to understand!! at night, the town was hopping and streets were packed at midnight..young, old, rich, poor....casual and hootchied...the nights were alive!! erin and i would park ourselves on a street bench and people watch for a while every night. we spent easter here with a morning breakfast of our usual fresh fruit and coffee. our final night we sat in a waterside bar and sipped a drink while taking in a tropical rain that absolutely shut down the town..in a matter of minutes, the streets drainage systems was overwhelmed and flooding waters found it~s way to the beaches and poured in. we felt lucky to be enjoying nice jazz on a couch in an open air restaurant snickering at all the poor, near drowning folks running for cover....why?, because that is usually us out there soaking our packs and only clean set of clothes. i deserve a good laugh right??


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



24th April 2007

Brasilian Uniform
...waiting for a frontal brasilian in standard uniform :-) Photos look great!!!
24th April 2007

Buzios
Pix are great!!! I miss home :(
25th April 2007

keep your clothes on
The beaches look great....but the economy must be horrid if half the population can't afford tops and bottoms of a swimsuit? love the pix's....especially the ones with your beautiful faces. love, mom
25th April 2007

According to the Simpsons, the bad parts of Rio are painted in bright colors to appease the tourists- even the rats are painted in red, yellow, and bright blue! Love it. MISS YOU GUYS!
25th April 2007

My jealousy knows no bounds...
I love the pics, the scenery is awesome, and the beachfront looks nice too... :) I am glad you guys are having so much fun. I am bummed I couldn't make it down, but such is life in the rat race. Miss you both tons, and hopefully we can meet up soon! :) Stay bummy! JM
25th April 2007

Your mom's comment is hilarious. Maybe the US can export proper swimsuits... Loving the pictures!!
26th April 2007

Very nice photos! I may have to plan a cruise to South America....
27th April 2007

easy
you guys should really take it easy...

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb