Easter Weekend in Recife


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Recife
May 14th 2012
Published: May 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Alex had a work visit to Recife, on the northeast coast of Brazil, and Jenn tagged along. We stayed at a hotel right along the area’s nicest beach, Boa Viagem (Good Trip), but there isn’t any swimming allowed due to shark attacks.

We went to a popular square, which turned out to be a bit shady, but we got to see some old churches and the farmer’s market. From there, we tried to take a taxi to an Italian restaurant, but had to take three taxis before a driver knew where it was.

For the weekend, we headed north to an island “resort.” The first bad sign was when the taxi driver pointed out the nearby prison. Nevertheless, we continued on to the hotel with a room straight out of the 70s, including the linens.

We’ve found that Brazilians use the beach much differently than Americans. Instead of bringing a beach towel and cooler, beachside pavilions provide plastic chairs and umbrellas. To sit on the beach, you must purchase beer or food and bring your entire loud family. Or, drive your jetski right up to the beach amongst the swimmers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Recife MarketRecife Market
Recife Market

Those sticks are the right are cinnamon.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.9kb