Carnaval in the Pouring Rain


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Recife
February 22nd 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

A Raindrop's View of Carnaval

Recife, Brazil

Eu Quero Frevo!Eu Quero Frevo!Eu Quero Frevo!

FREEEEEEVVOOOOO!!!
The rain began to pour down but the band played on.

Reaching up into the sky with palms skyward, we embraced the cold drops thundering down, streams running through our hair, dripping down our noses, around the curves of our grinning mouths, and soaking what - if anything - remained of our costumes. Our feet stomped wildly in ankle-deep puddles in the cobblestone streets, and all around us, people shouted at the top of their lungs "Eu quero Frevo!" (I want Frevo music!).

A few kilometres away on a sailboat, hastily left with a hatch wide open, a cabin began to fill up with rainwater, soaking its interior, saturating the bedding and destroying a book lying beside the pillow.

Trapped - albeit voluntarily - by thousands of wet bodies in all directions, embracing, dancing, kissing and singing, I smiled at the futility of worrying about it. One can only stomp their feet, raise their arms and celebrate life with strangers and friends alike and listen.. as the band played on.

We have come north to the eastern tip of Brazil for one of the largest street parties in the world to dance to the Frevo. This is
Dressed for SuccessDressed for SuccessDressed for Success

Clive, Zach, Cody, Sam
Carnaval in Recife, Brazil.

To explain about Recife's Carnaval, I'll just cut and paste from the Associated Press:

---

Jelly-limbed dancers with tiny multicolored umbrellas, frolicking to frenetic frevo rhythms, make carnival in Recife unique and for residents second to none. Recife's frevo music, which is accompanied by a frantic tip-toe dance in which participants leap into midair splits and fold themselves like contortionists as they land, forms a carnival tradition distinct from the better-known samba.

While Rio de Janeiro's famed Samba parade is broadcast to millions of adoring fans, Recife's bash is perhaps Brazil's best kept secret. In recent years, revelers turned off by Rio's commercialism and tired of being confined to the stands have begun looking elsewhere to cities like Salvador da Bahia. Those in search of a more intimate carnival have been heading to Recife and the neighboring colonial hilltop town of Olinda.

Here, the vibrantly colored costumes and huge puppets may be dwarfed by the Rio's gargantuan floats and armies of uniformed dancers, but the lack of pomp is compensated for by the proximity. Recife also offers up a potpourri of rhythms with names that seem to flow from poetry, like
Midnight RoosterMidnight RoosterMidnight Rooster

Let the onslaught of double entendres begin!
"maracatu," ''cabolco," ''coco" and "ciranda."

In Rio's there's just one, Samba," explains Alceu Valenca, a Brazilian popular musician and fixture of Olinda's carnival. That may be so, but in Recife one carnival rhythm stands above all the others and that is frevo.

On Saturday, an estimated 1.5 million revelers turned out for the "Galo de Madrugada," or Midnight Rooster, in Recife's city center where a procession of frevo bands wow the crowds with the fast-paced marching band music that recalls Dixieland jazz.

--

Onward North back to the Caribbean... stay tuned!
Photo credits: Kim - aka Capt Spicy - and the Californicators, and our good friend Donna H. Thanks!!
Be sure to visit the 2nd pqge for the NIGHTTIME photos... mooooahaha!



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Oysters in the Midday SunOysters in the Midday Sun
Oysters in the Midday Sun

Danger! Danger! Do not ingest!
ConxitasConxitas
Conxitas

To be honest, I don't know what a conxita is..
Do Not Kiss Strangers At CarnavalDo Not Kiss Strangers At Carnaval
Do Not Kiss Strangers At Carnaval

No telling what strange diseases are out there..
These Boots Were NOT Made for WalkingThese Boots Were NOT Made for Walking
These Boots Were NOT Made for Walking

Stumbling one's way through Carnaval
Nothing to See HereNothing to See Here
Nothing to See Here

Just a routine search, warrant not required..


6th April 2009

Brasil finally!
So, SOme proper fiestas in Brasil it sems?! I love the Colors!! The trip keep culminating fantastically! its been great watching the blogs bro---- wheres your end point, and where are you goin to do waht after this adventure? write a book? guide tours? keep travelin? holler back, and stop and see me and the great Northwest sometime here in POrtland, OR! its Peter from Sacred Suenos)
7th April 2009

I love it!
Colourful, clever and it's Carnival! Great photography and comments! Congratulations! We love you and can't wait to see you again.
7th April 2009

Brilliant Colours!
Tango looks like he's ready for his photo shoot for Chippendales..... The vibrant colours are amazing Clive.....great pics, as always. Have you started singing Ozzy yet?? "Mama, I'm coming home".........
7th April 2009

pics
Clive, There must be some more night pics, I can't wait too see those...Was that a shaken beer up the nose?? D.
8th April 2009

Sweet!
Man that looks like fun!! No pictures from the beach? Yes, its the worlds 7th deadliest beach, but I assume thats only with the sharks (in the water).... its NOT?! haha good times dude. Glad you're keepin safe. Weird that this didn't get posted for so long after the fact... I guess you're boatin. Mark

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb