A soaking at Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: March 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Four times wider than Niagara Falls and four times more impressive (although I did like little old Niagara trickle at the time.) The sheer volume of water takes your breath away and being South America you can get really, really close! We had travelled overnight from Campo Grande after visiting the Pantanal and it was the wierdest bus journey so far. 3 other people on the bus and we were kept in complete darkness all the way. The bus stopped various times but we couldn´t see anything as it was raining, it was like travelling through time in a spaceship (lack of sleep makes you imagine strange things.) On arrival we stayed on the Brazilian side, accomodation was a bit expensive though. The next day was sunny and we had a lovely time posing in front on the Brazilian view of the falls. All very pleasant. The next day we decided to investigate the Argentinian side, we woke up to heavy rain. In positive thinking mode we reckoned the extra water would add to the sheer volume of the falls making them even better. The pousada we were staying at offered a transfer across to the Agentinian side, warning of long delays at the borders and explaining that we had to get a Brazilian exit stamp and Argentinian entrance stamp and then do it all in reverse on the way back which could take hours unless we travelled with them of course. Still reeling from the cost of the pousada we decided to take public transport (3 buses in all) and cross independently. It was a personal triumphant when we arrived at the Argentinian national park before the pousada lot and realised we´d saved 25 pounds in the process, a hugh amount when you´re backpacking for a year! The falls were awsome once again and we got soaked from them and the pouring rain. Unfortunately the downside to travelling is that at the end of the day there´s no built in washing machine and dryer that you can throw your soaking wet clothes into, instead we had the task of hanging everything over the shower (yup we were lucky enough to have a ensuite this time.) Man, river water really stinks. Iguacu -a wet and smelly experience but one we thoroughly enjoyed and a must see for all travelling through Brazil or Argentina!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Iguacu Falls ArgentinaIguacu Falls Argentina
Iguacu Falls Argentina

Toucan play at that game


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb