Iguassu Falls Day Two


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=Eei-9w8hM_Y]Thursday morning we drove across the border to view the falls from the Argentina side. The Argentina custom officials go at their own speed and needlessly delay this process. Our local guide, Wilson, was nearly arrested when he had the nerve to complain about the rediculous delay. When we finally got to Argentina side of the falls we had to take a couple trains to the Devil's Throat Overlook. We missed the first one so we walked to catch the second one. It was a nice fifteen minute walk on level ground. After about a 30 minute wait we boarded the second train. After we got off the train it was over a mile walk along catwalks to the overlook. By the time we finally got to the Devil's Throat overlook we had about five minutes to snap a picture before we had to head back. It was a lot of effort for little reward as the view from Brazil is much better. Before heading back to Brazil we had lunch at the park on the Argentina side and then we had to repeat the long border crossing process. It takes at least an hour, often longer to get through the Argentina customs and about 2 minutes to clear Brazil's customs.

When we got back to the hotel about mid day. I decided to take the same walk as I did yesterday. But this day we had sunshine and clear blue skies, although very hot. The views were spectacular. The waterfall system consists of 275 falls along 1.67 miles of the Iguazu River. Some of the individual falls are up to 269 feet in height, though the majority are about 210 feet. The Devil's Throat (Garganta del Diablo in Spanish or Garganta do Diabo in Portuguese), a U-shaped, 2300-foot-long cataract, is the most impressive of all, and marks the border between Argentina and Brazil. Two thirds of the falls are within Argentine territory.

That evening we went into the town of Foz do Iguaçu. We had dinner followed by a show at a local theater.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb