Pantanel


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Mato Grosso do Sul » Corumbá
February 9th 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The last week or so has been rather interesting, and I must say that I am really looking forward to the rest of Brazil, although the cost of living may get out of hand. As you know we left Santa Cruz on the Death Train - we were all sure it was going to de-rail - for Corumba Brazil. After getting off the at the wrong stop, Jordan was attacked by two tourist companies who quickly got us back on the train and headed for the right destination. With little, to no idea of what we wanted to do in Brazil until Carnival and with no way from the boarder of Bolivia to Corumba, we decided to take the free ride from the train station to Corumba that one of the guys offered....and we were sold. In all honesty, it worked out better for us, although once again we have been bitten by the bitterness felt when someone tries to rip you off. That, and for some reason everyone one in the company is a compulisve liar.

About an hour off the train and we had bought a tour into the Pantanel to some farm for 3 nights and 4 days with promises of jaguars, anacondas and all sorts of fabulous animals, including the ability to go horseback riding whenever we wanted. Don´t get me wrong, the trip was great, especially seeing as how what was suppose to be a 3 night affair, turned into a 6 night affair, all for the same price. Basically, we had no guide, and just ended up going with various groups because the company did not want to, and could not take us on our own.

The farm was extremely nice, the food excellent, and the cost of the whole trip awesome. There´s deer, camins (smalls crocs), cows, thousands of different birds including 2-cans, blue and red macaws, water pigs and wild pigs. We did not see the promised jaguar, or anaconda, but we did see a Coral snake, an ant eater, a Tapier, and a couple armadillos. One of the guides went out and caught a canim and put her to sleep too which was kind of cool. Oh yeah, and there was the pirhana fishing and the swimming in the river that was 40 degrees (a German couple had brought a thermometer). We did get to go riding a couple of times, although the last time was anti-climatic, mainly because the first ride was awesome, and because the newby chick took the best horse and screamed when the thing tried to go faster than a walk.

No pictures right now, but hopefully soon. Jord and I are going to try and get a flight to Salvador (to avoid 70 plus hours of buses), and we´re all planning on getting to Rio for the Stones concert. Going to be a busy month...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0998s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb