Corumba (NS)


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Mato Grosso do Sul » Corumbá
February 2nd 2006
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

cor1cor1cor1

Tas in Corumba
Corumba was just a stop-off city for us where we could book our tour into the heart of the Pantenal. We took a walk in the city anyway and found it to be quite pretty, especially the view of the river Paraguai. We met up with our Aussie friends and booked our tour with Greentrack (Breno's tour company). The aussies had booked themselves into a nice hotel with a pool so we turned up with gin, tonic and a bag of limes and sat by their pool for the evening. On our way home we passed a band playing in the plaza, practising in preparation for the following day's festival. We hung around for a bit to see what was going on but it was a case of early to bed early to rise in preparation for our trip into the Pantenal.
This was the first Brazillian city we had been in and as such we had a lot of learning to do.

1. Brazilians are quite relaxed. We had washing to do but the laundry told us it would take three days.

2. Language. Written Portugese looks very similar to written Spanish. When spoken however it is not. Brazilians make lots of sounds from their nose pronouncing n as ing and dropping the beginnings and endings of some words depending on preceeding or following word.

3. Vegetarians eat chicken and pork. Before entering Brazil I was aware that being vegetarian would be hard and this was confirmed to me on the first day. For breakfast we went to a juice bar where we ordered pineapple juice and croissants. The croissants turned out to be filled with ham and cheese. The only alternative was cake, I settled for juice. Lunch was spent in an ice cream parlour - yum yum. For evening meal we searched around and the only thing I could eat was fish. After fifteen years of the 'if it has a face i wont eat it' rule I was forced to eat fish or starve. I have decided to eat fish when there is no alternative.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb