Dinner at the Captain's Table!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
January 21st 2011
Published: January 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

When we returned to our cabin after lunch yesterday, there was an ornate invitation waiting for us, inviting us to cocktails and dinner with the Captain. We can only imagine that we were asked because of our Black Watch romance! So we got all gussied up -- it was formal night -- and even took the lift for the first time this trip so that we would arrive at the Observatory Lounge without breaking a sweat.

There were only eight guests: three Norwegians, an English couple, a woman who was born in Edinburgh, and us. The captain and the customer relations manager rounded out the table. Before we sat down, a group photo was taken which was presented to us during dessert. It was all so elegant, I felt like Cinderella at the ball! There were even fancy name cards to show us where to sit. We had white wine with the starters, red with dinner (Beef Wellington for me) and Linie Aquavite after dessert. This particular aquavit is bottled specifically for Fred. Olsen after being aged in cherry casks aboard Fred. Olsen ships that have crossed the equator. Our's had been on board the Black Watch 2006-2007. The only place it is available is at the Captain's table; you cannot buy it anywhere, nor have it served anywhere else. So we felt even more special after we heard this.

The captain was a wonderful host, full of funny stories, mostly at his own expense. He told about being scared to death his very first time as captain when he had to cross the English Channel in very bad weather, then negotiate a lock that had only a foot of clearance on either side. He says that is where his signature line, "Buckle Up and Enjoy the Ride" came from. It was a totally enjoyable evening, the only problem being that it was second sitting so we didn't get out of the dining room until almost 11:00 PM. Not east to get to sleep.

When we got up to leave the table, I said, "Takk far maten'" which completely surprised the Captain, but he immediately replied, "Ver sa go." (Or however it is spelled.) I think he was quite pleased.

Today was the All Rounders luncheon for those going all the way around South America. (There are two places one can leave or join the cruise, so only about half are going all the way around.) So, here after our fancy dinner, we were having a fancy lunch which included champagne, wine, lobster and a very elaborate chocolate dessert. We are thinking we may skip dinner tonight!

About Salvador: we were one of four ships in port and had a very long walk into town. We had a very difficult time finding an ATM to get some Brazillian money, but were able to use a dollar to ride the huge elevator that takes you from the port area to the old part of the city. Salvador is a very old city, originally the first capital of Brazil. 37% of the slaves taken from Africa ended up in Brasil (sugar plantations) and most of them entered via Salvador. Today 80% of the population is Black. Because the slave traders and plantation owners were very wealthy, they built lots of churches, each more elaborate than the next. The Cathedral has more gold than I've ever seen, even more than the Hermitage! And it is not gilded plaster, but intricately carved wooden panels that have been covered with gold leaf. A bit overwhelming! And also hotter than hell. Combined with the high humidity, I thought I would melt. We didn't stay long in town because of the heat and were quite relieved to run into Barbara Taylor, the woman who does the port lectures, who told us a much easier way to get back to the ship was to take the funicular, which we did. Anything remotely related to a train fascinates Hugh, of course! When we arrived back on board we were greeted with cold, wet face cloths...a wonderful welcome "home."

Hugh has had a bit of a cold that last couple of days, but he feels better today. There seem to be some germs running around the ship. I sure hope I don't get it.

Oh, I am the only American on the ship! We heard a few college kids with American accents in the cathedral in Salvador, but otherwise I have been on my own. Hope I am representing America well...

Tomorrow: Rio!

Advertisement



24th January 2011

Dear Suzy and Hugh, I have heard about your marvellous story and hope you don't mind, but I have uploaded a piece to our Facebook page, at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fred-Olsen-Cruise-Lines-Official-Fan-Page/122952161065351 I would also like to explore with you the possibility of including a feature on your 'Fred. Olsen romance' in our guest magazine, 'Ocean View', so would be grateful if you could get in touch with me when convenient. I hope you are enjoying your cruise - I am very jealous indeed! Best regards, Rachael Jackson Public Relations Manager Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines Tel.: +44 (0)1473 292233 Mobile: 07917 323238 E-mail: rachael.jackson@fredolsen.co.uk www.fredolsencruises.com
27th January 2011

Black Watch, South America
I was so glad to read about your dinner at the Captain's table etc. It was so personal and nice. I am also a regular Fred Olsen passenger and can take part in your cruise by reading articles like this. Keep on informing us! Regards Jørgen Wærhaug, Oslo
31st March 2011

Dinner at the Captain's Table
We were also privileged to be invited to The Captain's Table on our last cruise which was to the Carribean - oh what an enjoyable experience!!!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb