Uyuni - Cementerio de Trenes


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

As i mentioned in the last post, Uyuni is full of rubbish, but there is one area where there is cool rubbish, the train cemetery. It's about two kilometres out of town, and is home to 100's of old bits of locomotive's rusting away. We got into Uyuni around 2pm, and seeing as there is sfa to do in town, we decided to head out to the graveyard late afternoon, after a well needed shower, and after watching Barca get destroyed by Bayern Munich.

We went with Dot & Too, and the Moncica's, two fun loving, and slightly nuts Swiss women, who we met on the tour. They are two middle-aged flight attendants who travel together each year to far flung areas of the globe, this time doing Bolivia and Peru. The Monica's managed to negotiate a ride out to the graveyard and back, with a 30min stop for 25 Boliviano's, $3.50. Although the taxi driver tried to pull a swifty and tried to charge us 25 each way. The Monica's soon set him straight, and he wimpered off with a defeated grimace on his face.

The old rusting bits of train allowed for me to play around with my camera, and it willed away some time that we otherwise would have had to spend in town.

After going out together for a nice meal and some beers, it was time to go back to the hotel and pack up yet again and get ready for the 10hr ride to Sucre in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb