Potosi


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
April 17th 2013
Published: April 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Back for some more !

After finishing our tour in Uyuni we made our way to the beautiful city of Potosi - commonly referred to as the highest city on the planet at 4070m.

During our stay in Potosi we learnt a lot about how much it played in the history of Bolivia but to the whole of south america and the kingdom of Spain itself. The abundance of Silver in the nearby mountain Cerro Rico indeed shaped the city's history between confronting nearby powers and Spain itself. Later it is as the place where currencies for generations would be forged in the famous La Moneda - the visit of the building rewarded us with invaluable insight, notably that Argentina would somehow get his name from the affluence of Argento coming from the famous city Potosi - we also learnt that the $ sign roots its origin from the seal of the Potosi Moneda - an aggregation of the letter P, S and I altogether...

Finally Potosi was also the opportunity for us to visit one of the last Carmelitas covent that remain in Bolivia - Covento Santa Theresa (de Avila - the city in Spain where Carmen's dad come from)

Enjoy x


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb