Oruru Carnival and Mining Town


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Oruro Department » Oruro
February 22nd 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

At 6.20 we departed Tupiza by train on the Expreso del Sur in executive class! Not really but just passable, what do you expect for 19 quid each. We trundelled slowly north across the Altiplano towards Oruru. It was 12 hours later we arrived in a freezing cold 3700m windy Oruru, which is famous for mining and carnivals.
The locals call themselves " Quirquinchos" ( Armadillos) and we found out why when walking the next day to the bus station. Each year the saturday before ash wednesday they hold the biggest carnival in Bolivia, we stumbled across a major dress rehearsal on our way to the bus station. Normally they would wear costumes and masks. There was hardly any shops open as most of the locals were in the bands or singing and dancing, and drinking too, having a great time and so did we. It was really I think a show for the town folk and a rehearsal all rolled into one. The only thing is...poor Armadillos being used as musical clappers.
We took a walk uphill to the Plaza del Folklore to visit the Museo Minero Socavon. Being a Sunday there was a market in full flow with pony rides and quad bike trips.
You can see there were two prices for entering the museo, but support it we did. The miners worship a god called El Tio who drinks and smokes alot, he looks a bit like the devil which is appropriate as they worked closer to him! The museum was a mine and also had a display of old carnival masks which were awesome. We only stayed one night in Oruru, so we were lucky to see all the locals out doing their rehearsal, very memorable. Next morning( Lynn with an upset tummy)we set off by bus to La Paz, capital of Bolivia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb