World Tour of Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

written by Miss Wendy O

Goodbye warm climate,
And who is stealing my oxygen!!!

After a cancelled bus, hanging out at a bus stations for several hours, a 7hr stinky bus to Puno then another 4hr bus ride across the border to Copacabana in Bolivia, we finally had a shower and de-shelled. At 3,800m above sea level, Copacabana altitude certainly made us all walk slow. It rests on the south tip of Lake Titicaca, the worlds highest navigable lake.

Lake Titicaca is absolutely stunning. The morning sunrise gradually glistens in the massive lake, highlighting the tips of the surrounding mountains just as the village awakens and the bustling market opens. Most of the locals are indiginous and wear traditional Quecha gear. The chicas wear long, flowing, colourful skirts, bowler hats and carry their products to the market in large brightly coloured blankets strapped around their backs. It really did feel like we were going back in time! We found the local people as warm as the chilly climate here, a huge contract to the Peruvians!

We spent a couple of days hanging out in the village, visiting the cathedral and witnessing the bizarre Benediciones de Movilidades (blessing of automobiles). This is where the locals rock up to the front of the cathedral with their new vehicles to be ´blessed´by the priest. This is supposed to warn off evil spirits and pretect them against any accidents. A dangerous sense of security in my opinion given they all drive like lunatics!

Stuart and I foolishly attempted a run along the lake front and almost died of heart failure after 10mins. This altitude is seriously dangerous and life threatening. We've been drinking coca tea like maniacs in a desperate attempt to acclimatise.

We then took a 4hr boat ride to Isla de Sol (Island of the Sun). It was on this island the first Inca was thought to have emerged, out of a stone no less. As Inca Princess myself it was good to visit my homeland again. We were bundled into the Islands Museum by an enthusiastic proud local. After examing a few old tooth picks and a few old crisp packets we decided to set off on our hike across the island. Visiting a few Inca sites on route we walked all afternoon to the South of the Island. We were escorted to the Hostel of our choice by a local Islander lad. We stayed in a very unique cute casa which had amazing views across the lake and the Cordillas, the best food and fab hosts. Casa de Don Ricardo is owned by an Argentinian activist so I was hoping for a bit of Che action but he was in Argentina at the time of our visit (probably kicking off the next revolution) so we had to settle for an uprising by the local donkey who sounded like it was being slottered in the middle of the night. The next day we walked down the Escalera del Inca (Inca stairway) to the jetty to catch our ferry back to the mainland. What a superb trip!

Next stop La Paz with Sheena's shrinking baggage after leaving a trail of personal belongings behind in every hostel.....

Turtles on Tour
Stuart, Sheena and I went out for a local Bolivian meal one night in Copacabana. Spanish speaking Stuart ordered a local Bolivian stew that can be ordered to various degrees of spiciness. In his proficient spanish he ordered it mild by saying no mas caliente (not too much heat) only to find that we were all served luke warm meals. YUM


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

In CopacabanaIn Copacabana
In Copacabana

... happy families
Bolivian GrannyBolivian Granny
Bolivian Granny

.. carrying produce to the market


10th May 2007

Ahhhh...Isla del Sol - that's where Aaron decided he'd propose to me. He did spend a day with a lama as sole company but still, I'm sure he meant it.

Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 102; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb