Bolivia


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
August 3rd 2006
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After some hectic days, we finally arrived to La Paz, the worlds highest capital (which is not really the capital... anyways... and we being an American girl and two French brothers - great travel companions). Before this dazzling city I had the opportunity to visit the Uros people, living on the floating islands made out of reed in lake Titicaca, Copacabana (no, not in Rio) and the Sun Island, where, according to the Incas, the sun was born.
These are all beautiful and worth visiting places, but still quite crowded with tourists. I also had the opportunity to try one of the local dishes - al paca (lama), which was, to my big surprise, really good.
The second day in La Paz was spent biking down "the worlds most dangerous road" (or if you prefer "the death road"). It was such a lovely tour, starting at 4700m above the sea and then slowly (and sometimes not so slowly...) working our way down through windy dirtroads, human stoplights (!!!), cliffs and canyons, decorated with deserted and crashed lorries, mostly of Volvo brand (hehe, something to show my future boss) for five hours until reaching Coroico. There we got a nice meal and a HOT shower (still a rare thing) before we took the van up along the same road. The trip back actually took just as long as the downhill trip, and at one moment a lorry got stuck in the mud, leaving nothing but a decimentre between the 1000m steep and the tryck. Ahh!!! Luckily we got back in one piece...

Advertisement



18th June 2007

Tripping
>> the worlds highest capital Yep.. that's what they are know for.. hehe!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb