rattle snake soup!


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Coroico
March 19th 2009
Published: March 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

First i think an appology is due.... we have been utterly hopeless at this blog recently and to be honest, we dont really have an adequate excuse!

Since february 26th we have been staying at an animal sanctuary called la senda verde (www.sendaverde.com) and it really has been the most amazing experience. its a relief to unpack our bags and settle into out lovely blue cabin. So much has been going on that its hard to know where to begin... i guess i could start at rattle snake soup! The day before yesterday a 1.5 mtr rattlesnake was found basking on the path and without hesitation Jil (a french guy who is volunteering) chopped its head off with a machete, as it is too much of a risk to leave alive. Zac, our amazing chef has a waste not want not attitude and decided to cook it up in a delicious soup... only in bolivia! it was sort of like chicken but chewy... felt like i was in "im a celebrity get me out of here!"

I (aish) got full on assaulted by a 1 eyed female capuchin! a total unprovoked attack... you really have to watch the adults, they have mood swings just like us. this particular monkey, Murka, just happens to hate women. she got me right on the base (or chicken drumstick!) of my thumb. one of her canines sunk into the underside and nearly hit the bone. its healing up nicely but the nerve pain is a nightmare still and doesnt look like its gonna get better any time soon. also got a bite on my arm from chica, the howler monkey, as i tried to pull her out of the pasta making room! for sure she won the fight and got a handful of homemade pasta to boot! damn monkeys are totally in control!

Its not all pasta fights with monkeys though... ive really bonded with an adult male called pekos who loves having his feet tickled, he also puts thin sticks up his nose to induce sneezing! i bought hima present of a paintbrush to tickle his feet with and he loves it... i have pics of him using it just like a person! we have decided to try painting with him and another one of the momkeys that is particularly dextrous too. There is also a baby female called Mora (blackberry in spanish) who is particularly gorgeous. she has become quite clingy with me and will grip around me neck and chatter when i try to leave... it means i spend a lot of time with her which is fine by me.

Just about everyone at LSV has been ill recently, dave and 3 others have had bad stomaches, whereas i have had a fever and headachey thing. dave also seems to be coming down with a cold. i think it might be the jungle dampness where illness thrives!

only about 37 days until we return home! at the end of the month we are heading to peru and doing machu pichu then heading south to argentine where we are meeting friends in buenos ayres. before flying back from rio we will go to iguazu falls for our last touristy thing.

will keep in touch more once we leave coroico as the internet her is terrible.
love to all xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb