Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lake Titicaca Lake Titicaca Lake Titicaca

View from Isla del Sol
After La Paz we cycled the 150km to Copacabana on lake Titicaca. The views on this leg were amazing, with mountains at first giving way to the lake itself which is the biggest in south america. The ride involved a ferry across a stretch of lake maybe 1km wide and which was probably the scariest part of the trip so far. The "ferry" was a rectangular boat sort of thing, just longer than a bus, and the men working it decided we should go on the same boat as a tourist bus (empty of passengers as they go across seperately). The bus rocked with every wave which hit the boat and we were seriously worried about it capsizing and taking our bikes down with it! Luckily we made it over without any problems but i'm glad we won't have to do that ride again.

After we arrived at Copacabana we did a day trip to Isla del Sol, a 2 hour boat ride away from the town, which has loads of Inca ruins on it. The views from here were great looking across the lake and at all the small islands around it. The boat ride cost us 10Bs each way, less than a pound for a 2 hour ride and shows just how cheap Bolivia is. The Peruvian border is only about 10km from Copacabana so we will be hopefully crossing tomorrow, if the Peruvian protests allow us that is!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb