Copacabana and Isla del Sol


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

Sunset from the Hill above Copacabana
So the bus ride from Cuzco was a little bit different to the supprisingly high standard of transport to which we have become acustomed - we suppose that it wasn´t too bad really but it was just that the windows wouldn´t close all the way so we neally froze to death on our ride through the night.

After a problem free border crosssing into Bolivia (people had warned us about 'fines' and confiscating 'fake' money) we arrived in Copacabana on the shores of Lake Titicaca. It is only a small town on a hill overlooking the lake but is set up for local holiday makers and tourists. Our hotel was really first class - expensive by Bolivian standards but cheap by Aussie ones - it was warm beautifully furnished and we had our own little bay window lokking out over the lake.

Our first afternoon we did what the guide book recommended and walked up the hill above the town to watch the sunset. It was really lovely. Then down into town for dinner and back to bed in our wonderful hotel.

Wednesday - Today we travelled to the Isla del Sol. This is supposedly the birthplace of
CopacabanaCopacabanaCopacabana

On the shore of lake Titicaca
the incas and also it is the thing to do when you come to Copacabana. We unknowingly secured a place on the slowest ferry possible (I think that they were all pretty slow though) and took the two and a half hour ride to the north of the island. We skipped the ruins tour (we didn´t feel that it could compared to what we had just seen and we kind of wanted to get away from the crowds). We set off to hike down the centre of the island to where we would be collected by the the ferry in the afternoon at the south end. It was a quite nice walk and not too difficult with very nice views of the lake. We got jumped a couple of times by locals charging entry fees for walking on the path - but it all seem legit and it only cost us $2 each. At some points it was almost like bushwalking in Australia as we were walking through eucalyptus plantations the only thing missing was the cycadas.

It was all relatively uneventful and after another long ferry ride back to Copacabana we booked our bus trip into La Paz.
TiareTiareTiare

Tiare on the hill above Copacabana at Sunset. Lovely view.


Not much else to say. Copacabna seems like a great place to kick back and relax and we have to thank Sean and Antonia for recommending it to us (rather than Puno).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

BoatBoat
Boat

A Local rowing his boat at Isla Del Sol
WalkingWalking
Walking

Tiare walking the length of Isla Del Sol
UsUs
Us

The view from the top of Isla Del Sol
HutHut
Hut

Taken on the walk along Isla Del Sol


1st April 2008

look's like an awsome adventure.
Hey Guys, Sorry I havent written lately, been busy studying for work. The trip sounds awsome so far defantly envious of your travels. The pic's as normal are breath taking. Take Care, always thinking of you. Renee and Jason.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb