A Special Fiesta of Sport


Advertisement
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
A familiar logo caught my eye. A poster in the window of a bank in the centre of Cochabamba. I double-backed for a closer look. It was advert for Special Olympics.

My first involvement with Special Olympics was at the National Games in Ireland back in 2002 and I´ve been a volunteer ever since. Now travelling in South America I find out the National Games of Bolivia were taking place in the very same city from tomorrow? It was not to be missed. A quick change to our travel plans and we´re set...we are going to the Games!

As soon as we entered the sports hall that was to host the Opening Ceremony, I sensed the buzz of excitement in the air. I instantly recognised the infectious enthusiasm that surrounds anything to do with Special Olympics. When a 100-strong band of beating drums and blasting brass kicked off the athlete parade with the Rocky theme tune, I had that spine tingling moment that I get at every Games I have been to. About 350 athletes from all over Bolivia (a country of 10 million) received a standing ovation as they paraded around the floor, waving and smiling at their supporters. To the delight of the athletes and the crowd alike, the band launched into Michael Jacksons greatest hits, at one point a section of the band danced the Thriller. Classic.

In a speech, the Games were called a "Fiesta of Sport". I really like that description, it captured the spirit of Special Olympics without forgetting that it is a sports organisation. Fittingly for a fiesta, up next were traditional Bolivian dancers in colourful costumes who energetically performed their moves around the hall. Time for one last ceremonial act - the torch arrived, the flame of hope was lit and the 11th National Games of Special Olympics Bolivia had officially begun.

The athletes were competing in four sports over the next two days: bocce, aquatics, football and gymnastics. James and I headed out to the nearby Departmental Athletic Stadium to watch the bocce and quickly became engrossed in the game. Bocce (or bochas in Spanish) is an Italian bowling game. The aim is to get as many of your balls as close to the white ball as possible, closer than the opponents balls. It is fascinating to watch as the whole game can turn right up until the last ball. There was stiff competition between the men of Santa Cruz and the El Alto, while the ladies of Cochabamba and Potosi almost went to a tie breaker, the match eventually decided by the measuring tape. Family members and volunteers were out cheering on the athletes all morning.

As a very good friend of mine once said, "When the flame went out at the closing ceremony I though it was the end. But actually it was the beginning." (I hope I have quoted you correctly Susie!). I have no doubt the families and volunteers here will ensure the same for the Special Olympics athletes of Bolivia and that the fiesta of sport will continue.

From Jess


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

"Quiero ganar pero si no puedo, quiero ser caliente en el intento.""Quiero ganar pero si no puedo, quiero ser caliente en el intento."
"Quiero ganar pero si no puedo, quiero ser caliente en el intento."

The Special Olympics athlete oath in Spanish.


24th October 2009

Special Olympics
What a wonderful opportunity and experience to see the Special Olympics in Bolivia. The video really captures the enthusiasm. A definite feel good factor hearing about the Fiesta of Sport. Surprised wrestling wasn't included-a missed opportunity for play acting in style !
1st November 2009

and the flame lives on......
Wow! What a coincidence to happen upon an event so close to your heart and on your travels. I like the way they celebrated - none of the tacky political pageantry of the 'real'games but people just knowing how to enjoy themselves and let their hair down. I do worry about you two - will you ever settle for mundanity after all your adventures? Keep on truckin'..................

Tot: 0.331s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb