sucre


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
August 16th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The first thing we spotted on our arrival in Sucre was an icecream parlour, and succumbing to temptation, we headed here for peach melba and Viennese sundaes before looking for digs. This was to set the tone for the remainder of our stay. Apart from some nice walks, the best thing about Sucre was the food. We stayed in a quite nice hotel just off the main square, and spent some time just wandering around and sussing out things to entertain us for the next couple of days. That night we found an intersting Dutch/Bolivian restaurant and ate far too much and had our first bottle of wine since santiago (yes, unbelievable I know). I had a quinoa soup and a spicy chicken thing with freeze-dried rehydrated potatoes, which are quite a delicacy in the area. The meal was nice but the spuds weren't. A ridiculously strong irish coffee just about finished us off and Josie spent the night talking to god down the bg white telephone. This and incessant banging latin tunes from an all-night fiesta didn't make for a very restful night! The next morning we had planned to hop on the dino-truck to visit the dinosaur footprints in the hills nearby. But with Josie still feeling rough, I decided to drag her around the square a few times until she was fit. I knew she she was better when we went for lunch at the local Italian. Although she insisted that she didn't want anything, I cunnningly ordered loads, and she proceeded to polish off half my salad and garlic bread, washed down with haslf a bucket of lemonade. Now there was no excuse not to get on the dino-tour. We missed the bus by minutes, but a very friendly woman gave us a lift in her car and we caught the group up at the site. It was a working cement factory, where the prints were discovered about 20 years ago. They are the largest group of prints anywhere in the world, made by various dinosaurs, also the longest continuous track ever found. Strangely, these tracks are found on a near-vertical wall, which is very impressive in size. The tracks have been found on various levels of the excavated ground, layers upon layers and tracks upon tracks, some of which will never see the light of day.
The next day we got a taxi to the top of a nearby hill, and the start of an Inca trail, leading down to some paintings. We were offered a guide at this point but preferred to walk on our own. I thought for a while that the guide was following us, and was preparing to be mugged, but that didn't happen and we had a very pleasant walk down through the hillside, with some stunnning views. We didn't make it as far as the paintings as our driver was waiting for us, but we had a good walk nevertheless.
Next stop La Paz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



16th August 2009

Big white telephone
I'm not sure it's the done thing to talk about lady friends chatting on the big white telephone!
16th August 2009

:D

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb