Some Altitude


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 20 hours on the Death Train we spent a few hours in Santa Cruz, a few hours was enough - not much to see or do. We then took an overnight bus to Sucre. Bolivian buses and roads are something to be experienced. The buses are very basic with no facilities, a bit of a challenge when the journeys are so long - in time if not distance. Once out of towns the roads are not much more than dirt tracks. So our journey of ~400km took 15 hours, about the same 30km/h average speed as the train !!!!! but it was cheap b$70 (US$10) per person. Our fellow passengers were all locals and an interesting bunch, the guy across the aisle smoked, spat, talked to himself, shouted and whistled at people we passed in the towns, told the driver when to stop for uncomfortable comfort breaks at the side of the road, everything except be quiet and sleep !! The journey is worth it to visit the city of Sucre, which is wonderful and at 2800m a great place to get some altitude acclimatisation. The city is beautiful, the people friendly, the pace slow and the sky the bluest imaginable. We planned to stay 2 nights but will actually be here for 4 before we head higher up to Potosi (>4000m). Visits to the museums and churches are great, there are no barriers or areas roped off - you're free to walk around freely, there's always a guide who gives you an overview then leaves you alone and things are very well presented.
Except for things that are imported Bolivia is an incredibly cheap country. We've been having great lunches in the local market for ~US$1.50 each, yesterday Atsuko had chicken soup which was only US$40 cents !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



11th July 2009

Dinner
Is that a sausage :) John
20th July 2009

Cheap Lunch!
Wow.... USD1.25 lunch USD0.40 soup! Can't cover Mee Siam and barely water here.....

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb