Sucre - Cafes, choclate and cafes again


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Sucre late on Sunday afternoon after a 30min flight from Santa Cruz. We ended up splahing out 37 pounds on business class to get on the flight as we are suddenly realising how short of time we are and how much we want to do before our Inca trek starts from Cusco in Peru on the 20th April.

Sucre is at 2790m above sea level and we noticed it was slightly colder (although still sunny) and I was a bit short of breath when we first arrived (though you could be excused for thinking that this is due to 5 months of no exercise and over-indulgent eating). The town is known as "La ciudad blanca" because everything is white washed and very colonial looking. It really is a beautiful town and has a nice relaxed vibe to it. We ended up walking around the centre to the main square and soon fell in love with a small cafe serving hot chocolate made from a glass of hot milk with a bar of local chocolate dropped into it which is then allowed to melt.

Actually that turned into a habit for 48 hours. We wondered around, saw some pretty streets and some squares, took a few photos, found a cafe, got out our books and had a hot chocolate. Throw in an occasional visit to the internet cafe to sort out bus tickets, salt plain tours and mine tours and you've basically filled the 48 hours we had there.

Although that may sound boring and a bit stupid, I think we needed a bit of time to relax as we've been moving around pretty quickly and haven't really spent any time just relaxing in one place. So we left Sucre with a very nice impression of it and recuperated and ready for the jump up to 4070m above sea level - the highest city of its size in the world - Potosi.

PHOTOS TO FOLLOW


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Submarina hot chocolateSubmarina hot chocolate
Submarina hot chocolate

A glass of hot milk with a local delicious chocolate bar dunked in and left to melt!


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb