Welcome to the Jungle


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


3 Julio




Today we set out to Rurrenabaque to visit the Bolivian Amazon rainforest, where (compared to Brazil´s) it´s supposed to be much easier to access the deep jungle. We had been told by many other travellers that the 20 hour bus ride from La Paz to Rurre was the worst ride in all of South America, so we decided to check out our other options. We found a taxi company who claimed they could take us there in 9 hours, and it didn´t cost too much more than the bus ride, so we decided to go with that. Long story short, it took us 12 hours of bumpy roads (I couldnt sleep because I had to lift my arm for every big bup, or else jar the bones in an excruciatingly painful way) and being stuck in random towns without atms before we got there at 2am. We found the nearest hostel that was open and crashed.

4th of July



Happy independence day! We got up this morning and set out to catch our boat to the jungle (in spanish, la selva). We met up with 10 other young backpackers from around the world and got in. After a brief introduction, we set out. The view was amazing already, and cruising up the river Beni gave us ever more secluded views (and we saw a capybara!). We stopped to get a stamp to be let in Madidi National Park, and saw some wild capuchins in the trees nearby. One of our guides was born in the jungle and grew up with the natives there before going to the nearby city to be educated. He was fluent in like 5 languages, including his native language, english, spanish, hebrew, and german. We then proceeded to our camp that would be our base for the next few days. After lunch, we set out on a 5 hour hike that continued until 8pm, giving us a glimpse of the deep jungle day and night. He showed us medicinal plants that cured constipation, diarrhea, rheumatoid arthritis, plants to use as viagra, or to coat a poison dart or bring fish to the surface. We saw a tree that can walk, literally- it stands tall on many roots and will grow a new one in one direction and discard one on the opposite side, moving as much as 20cm a year! Justin ate a big gross grub out of a coco nut, ick. During our night walk we came very close to a herd of wild boars. The sounds were so intense in the dark jungle; it was quite an experience!

5 Julio




We got up early this morning and set out on another 6 hour walk, trying to find the herd of boars we had heard the night before. We found plenty of their tracks, and tapir tracks as well, but they did well in avoiding us. The jungle was so wild and dense there. One of the guys on our tour told us how, 30 years prior, his dad got lost for a week in this same part of the jungle. Our guide built us a vine swing and we had a lot of fun on that, until Justin got crazy and broke it (good thing he went last). We headed back for lunch, then went on a boat ride to another shore, doing an arduous climb up a clifface to an amazing lookout. There were tens of macaws nested IN the clifface, and the view at the top was spectacular.

6 Julio



This morning we chilled, making some awesome crafts out of seeds and nuts gathered from the jungle, then headed back to Rurre. Rurrenabaque is for sure my favorite city we´ve visited. people are very laid back and friendly, and it´s warm, unlike La Paz. We got a recommendation to go to a different hostel, Mirador del Lobo (lookout of the wolf). It sat right on the river and the wall of your room that faced it was gone, giving you an amazing view and refreshing breeze. We got some wine and homemade banana bread, and had a great night exploring.

7 Julio

We decided not to have a repeat adventure of our trip to Rurre, so we bought a ticket for the 40 minute flight back to La Paz. The plane was so tiny (16 seats!) and even had propellors. We got back, dropped our bags at a hostel, then headed to the clinic to get my cast off and the pins out of my bones. The saw was crazy- it vibrated, not cut, my cast right off. I got lightheaded when I saw the pins sticking out of my wrist (looked like frankenstein!), and when the doctor went to pull them out with a pair of pliers and no painkillers. Barely hurt, surprisingly, and now I´m free! Typing with two hands again, what a relief! I can tie my own shoes and everything. I don´t know how I would have gotten through that month without Justin´s help; he was so great. Because my hair had been so neglected that whole time, it was a rat´s nest and I was tired of dealing with it on the road... so I got it chopped off! It´s just about even with my chin now, and I love it! Headed to Copacabana and Lake Titicaca tomorrow, then on to Peru!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Mirador el LoboMirador el Lobo
Mirador el Lobo

out our "window"


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb