Buenos Aires: The City.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
May 14th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires: Law BuildingBuenos Aires: Law BuildingBuenos Aires: Law Building

Seth, Gali, Chad, Dani
Day 2: RAIN!

We didn´t do much today.

Covered the Museo National de Bells Artes (Fine Arts Museum). It was ok.

Continued to the mall by taxi. The driver tried to rip us off but we were smarter!! Good guys 1 - Bad guys 0.

We explored the mall for a better jacket for Gali. We all underestimated how frio (cold) it would be this time of year. The highlight of this mall was definitely the kosher McDonalds.

Headed back to the hostel and then grabbed some dinner.

Day 3:

Today was our first nice day and we took full advantage! We ventured out from our hostel and headed to the botanical garden - there were trees and plants from around the world but this garden was more like feline central. I tried to count the number of cats we spotted but there were just too many (at least 30, probably closer to 60).

We continued to the zoo which was 20 meters away. There was a surprisingly large amount of animals. The highlight was definitely the Japanese Macaque monkeys. Two of them were going at it like little siblings. On the other end of the habitation a parent was protecting the other parent and their two babies.

We continued by walking towards the Cemeterio de la Recolleta through the Recolleta neighborhood.

Important stops were the law building and the moving flower called Floralis Genérica. It was designed by Eduardo Catalano. The flower functions through hydraulics and solar sensors opening at sunrise and closing at sunset.

We were amazed when we arrived at the cemetery. As the pictures show (Thanks to Chad) this was no ordinary cemetery. The rows of mausoleums are the burial places of Argentina's wealthiest families and its most influential and important people. (Presidents, scientists, artists).

When the cemetery closed at 18:00 we walked back to our hostel stopping for a cafe on the way where I think we figured out the Buenos Aires lifestyle: Works starts in the morning and ends between 17:00 and 19:00. At this point, the 4 or 5 cafes you find per block on the main streets are full. People order a cafe and a danish. Then dinner is eaten after 20:00. The clubs open at 2am and only fill up around 3am.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

PalermoPalermo
Palermo

Dani, Gali
Buenos AiresBuenos Aires
Buenos Aires

Dani and Gali
Buenos AiresBuenos Aires
Buenos Aires

The old meets the new.


19th May 2009

Cool Pix
Thanks for the blog. Almost...like being there... Hels
19th May 2009

Seth, love your commentary and pictures. Makes us feel as if we are there with you (wouldn't you love that!) Enjoy, TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER, and experience everything. xoxo

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb