Into Argentina, (and out again)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
November 2nd 2004
Published: November 2nd 2004
Edit Blog Post


Iguazu Falls... awesome
A 46 hour bus journey took us from Potosi, in southern Bolivia, to Puerto Iguazu, in North Eastern Argentina. This involved 5 different bus journeys, and conditions noticeably improved once we crossed the border into Argentina.... The roads were paved, the buses were luxurious sleeper affairs, with free coffee and Hollywood films shown in English, and the food became noticeably more appetising...

Eventually, after our gruelling journey, and in desperate need of a shower, we arrived at Puerto Iguazu, a pleasant, low rise town that sits on the junction of the Iguazu and Parana rivers, and is therefore bordered by both Paraguay and Brazil. But the main draw of the town are the waterfalls that decend the Iguazu river, 20 km away...

Put quite simply, these falls are as an amazing sight I have ever witnessed... stretching for 2 miles in a wide horseshoe, the river, bordered on Brazil on one side, and Argentina on the other, decends through the lush rainforest into a series of thundering cataracts....
On the argentinian side, we spend a whole day wondering around the various walkways and viewpoints, including to the astounding Devils Throats, a 3 sided fall that decends into a swirling

Over 4000 miles from the islands themselves, the Argies make their point at the Bolivian border
mist below...
And later in the afternoon, we took the adrenaline pumping and very wet speedboat right upto the spray of some of the lower falls...

Like the grand canyon, photos dont really do this place a lot of justice, the scale is simply too big... but I've included a few just to give you an idea of the feel of the place. Although there are many tourists, (not helped by our visiting on a national holiday), the falls were too spectacular to be spoiled by such details...

Back to the charming town of Puerto Iguazu in the evening, for an amazing electrical storm, and a fantastic 3 course meal in a smart restaurant with wine for 6 quid a head.... I'm starting to really like Argentina!!
But before we become too comfortable, we´re heading off again tomorrow to the Brazilian side of the falls, and from there, to Rio....

Adios, Argentina, I'll be back soon!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Underneath the spray of the worlds most powerful waterfall.


Up close with some of the falls, on our little speedboat adventure


More jaw dropping scenes from the Argentinian side


"Devils Throat", the 3 sided bowl that crashes some 100m down to the rocks below.. in the background is Brazil


Could have sat here all day


Me and Rach, Iguazu


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb