Wine, a Tandem, a Boat and a Police Escort


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
April 9th 2010
Published: April 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We've come to the conclusion that Argentina is our favourite European country not in Europe. It has it all, good wine, olives, chocolate, sunshine and siestas. Crossing the border from Bolivia was like landing on a different planet.

We headed south first to Salta where Stu discovered the Lomito Completo, steak sandwich with everything! It was a turning point for his waistline! We didn't stay long in Salta because the wine region was calling us. We got to Mendoza and hired a tandem bike to tour the vineyards. It was a little hairy at first, but with a bit of practice we were flying through the countryside. We were a bit worried when we got a little lost and saw a police motorcycle pulling up, however the friendly policeman decided to give us an escort to our next destination. As you can imagine, it was hard not to giggle after a few glasses of wine, on a tandem bike with a police escort complete with flashing lights!

After filling our bellies in Mendoza, we headed to Chile to catch a 4 day ferry through the Fjords of Patagonia. The views were amazing and we saw plenty of dolphins, seals and sealions but no whales and penguins. We think they may have headed south for the marching season. Bingo is an obsession in Chile and Argentina, they play it on buses and, as we found out, on boats too. Unfortunately for Stu, the winner had to celebrate with a little jig... he was the most reluctant winner of all time! We gave the Gay Gordon ceilidh dance an outing on the high seas so that he could collect his prize of a fleece! It wasn't quite the tango!

Well fed and rested, we got off the boat in Southern Chile and headed across the border back to Argentina and El Chalten. This is the most beautiful place we have been so far. We spent 2 days trekking to glaciers and the views were truly spectacular.

Love

Stuart and Lisa





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The EvangelistaThe Evangelista
The Evangelista

Our home for 4 days
Dolphins..Dolphins..
Dolphins..

..I don't think we have a career in wildlife photography!
Fitz Roy from a distance....Fitz Roy from a distance....
Fitz Roy from a distance....

...still 2 hours uphill to go!


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb