El Chalten - Day 3 - Conquering Lago de los Tres


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
March 6th 2007
Published: March 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This time we (Will, Claudia, Talal and I) knew where the path to Lago de los Tres starts. Our hostel is very conveniently situated to the three most popular hikes. After some uphill that helped us warm up pretty quickly, the first view of the majestic Fitz Roy were revealed in front of our eyes. Along the way we met Carlos, Robert’s Argentinean friend, and some other guy. They were carrying all their gear and were going to camp out that night at Poincenot. Brave, we thought!

We had a brief stop at Rio Blanco - a camp for climbers only. On my wander around the camp I noticed a wooden plank. It read “SAUNA” It was closed. But lucky climbers! The other camps are lucky if they get a stinking loo!

On our way to Lago de los Tres, I saw for the first time in my life an avalanche! It was an impressive, yet a scary sight - a massive chunk of snow chipped off and fell several meters down. For minutes afterwards, there was a big cloud of snow powder. It definitely got the “WOW” factor!

Eventually we reached what everyone had warned us about as being “the very steep uphill”. At first I thought people had had a laugh as there wasn’t a great incline. Admittedly, it did get pretty steep, but surely it is not the worst I’ve ever seen. Thanks to my lovely parents I have hiked up much steeper, longer and tougher treks.

It was a tradition to have lunch on a rock by a lake by now whist enjoying the stunning setting around us, the amazing turquoise waters of the lake.

On the way back we took a slight detour via Lago Capri. This was the first lake with a normal colour! We did not hang around there long. But this was the first time I wish I were camping out. It seemed like such a beautiful place to spend the night.

Will had promised at the start of the day that if we made it back to the hostel before sunset, he’d get us from those massive yummy looking cakes from the café at Rancho Grande. We reached our hostel by 7:45pm marking one hour headway from the previous day! All four of us sat on a table ready to pick a cake, when the guys decided to first have dinner and then possibly have that cake… It never happened needless to say.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Panorama viewPanorama view
Panorama view

Poincenot, Fitz Roy, Mermoz and Guillaumet peaks
Getting closer!Getting closer!
Getting closer!

The way up
Lago de los TresLago de los Tres
Lago de los Tres

I just love the colour of the water!


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb