Glacier National Park - not in Montana


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
March 8th 2012
Published: March 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We caught the 8:15 bus to Glacier National Park. A 1.5 hour ride and a ridiculous price (was about $100 for the bus and park admission) led us to another spectacular site (well worth the money). Probably my favorite part of the trip so far. Perito Moreno Glacier is one of two glaciers in South America that is actually advancing (2 meters per year). And the park has a really cool setup of walkways right across from the glacier. The glacier is massive and so are the walkways. We spent the day trying to find the best spot to watch the glacier calve (pieces of ice break off and crash in to the water). Every couple minutes you would hear a thunderous boom (like a gun shot) and see ripples in the water from the ice that crashed in to it. Seemingly small chunks of ice would make a ton of noise. We could also hear the glacier rumble as parts of it that we couldn´t see moved. And sometimes we were lucky enough to be looking in the right spot as a big chunk of ice broke off. All around impressive.

We spent about 6 hours staring at the glacier waiting for the next chunk of ice to break off. Sounds boring typing it, but it was anything but boring. We had a beautiful day for the viewing too.

After returning to El Calafate we spent a few hours figuring out where we were heading next on the trip. We are planning to deviate a bit from the original plan as costs are just way over what we budgeted for the area. We´ll head north a bit more quickly that originally anticipated, but even if we left Chile and Argentina now I think we´d both say we left very satisfied.

Oh yeah, hamburgers for dinner...yum...Still trying to figure out what Chileans and Argentinians eat regularly. Haven´t seen rice and beans on a menu yet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th March 2012

Thanks for your Blog
Sounds amazing. I'm catching up on your blog. Penguins do look adorable. Tent sounds awful. Views sound so awesome. Great you guys can see so much and hike. Sunny today in New Hampshire. Phil went to snow board Tuckerman's Ravine a natural snowbowl in White Mountain National Forest. I have trouble imagining winds stronger than Boulder wind. Love, Aunt Mary Ellen

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb