Bienvenidos a Argentina!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
April 20th 2006
Published: April 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

After 10 days in Bolivia it was off to Argentina and the land of beef and wine! On the train from Uyuni to the border, we met an Irish brother and sister, Padraig and Sinead. This would be the first of many train/bus trips that the four of us would be on together through Argentina. Since we were a bit tired we decided to try traveling 1st class on the train. It had a bit more leg room and breakfast and was a very nice change!

After an overnight train, we walked across the border. Our guide books assured us it wasn´t that far. After 35 minutes fully loaded with gear we finally made it across the border and to the bus station in La Quica, Argentina. We purchased tickets for 8 hours more of traveling by bus to the city of Salta. Before leaving we found a great deli and bought fresh salami, cheese, and bread for our trip. We made it to Salta, Argentina in the evening. We were very happy to discover that Salta lives up to its nickname ¨La Linda.¨ The weather was gorgeous and so was the very tranquil city. Its beautiful tree lined Plaza and architecture reminded us of Europe.

After searching for decent and cheap accommodations for an hour we learned that the city was swollen with travelers for the Easter week holiday. So we finally found a cheaper place with rooms available (note it wasn´t a decent and cheap place!). Tired and a bit exhausted, though, we figured we could get used to the slight mildew smell of our interior (read no windows) room. So we set off for dinner on the lovely plaza in Salta with our friends. We had a great meal and the first great steak of the trip. Bryan decided he would drink beer with Padraig while I had wine. After nearly two liters of the local beer Bryan was a bit tipsy, but Padraig was unphased. We later learned that Padraig had 23 pints of Guiness and 4 glasses of wine at the last office Christmas party, so it was clear Bryan would have to drink at his own pace.

Salta was also our first opportunity to taste the great food and wine that Argentina has to offer. On our first full day, we went off the beaten path and found a restaurant that served the best empanadas (a pastry stuffed with meat, etc.) and tamales. Even better, our huge lunch and bottle of great red wine set us back $9. Of course, we had to go back the next day!

Bryan´s popular red beard (4 votes for, 1 vote against (Bryan´s mom), and 1 lukewarm ¨sure honey, it´s cute¨ (the author)) also came to an end in the great city of Salta. We found a local barber and asked him to shave it figuring he would use clippers to get rid of most of it and Bryan could clean shave the rest at our hotel. It started as planned but then the barber got out a fresh new straight razor blade and proceeded to give Bryan a complete old fashioned shave. It was similiar to the Godfather type shaves and for 45 minutes the barber meticulously hand shaved his face! It was quite an experience.

Another highlight was our gondola ride from the town to the top of San Bernardino—a small mountain that overlooks the city. The ride was fun and the views were great. The city has spent a lot of money maintaining the beautiful park at the top of the mountain and we were able to spend a relaxing afternoon there walking and, of course, taking a lot of photos!

After three days of walking the great plazas and tree lined streets we took off to Cordoba (the second largest city of Argentina) on a night bus with our new friends.

Hope all is well with all of you!

(We are going to have to update photos later b/c we have discoverd we don´t have the right type of power adaptor necessary for use here in Argentina--despite what the REI salesperson told us!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Melia around townMelia around town
Melia around town

Salta is known for among other things distinct doors on the older houses....


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb