Chilling in Bariloche


Advertisement
Published: September 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We skied again today and had a much better time than yesterday. We managed to get on the snow earlier even though we left later. Win, win! It was a little icy, but if you chose the right path there were some lovely parts. We started on a different part of the mountain, going up a different lift from the village. We still didn't like the trail down to the lower lift that takes you to the very top and so we ended up going back over to where we started yesterday. As usual when skiing, Toby insisted we could go down a run that looked easy. Fiona, who isn't as good a skier, knew it wouldn't be easy but he insisted and after she had several falls he had to agree with her that it was a bit harder than it looked. The views were still breathtaking though.

We finished skiing in time for lunch. We had parked near a cafe that was selling empanadas so we ate there. Unfortunately they all had meat of some sort in them so none for Fiona. It was nice to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine even though we were hoping for a little cooler weather up here. We had also spied another cafe that was selling churros. They filled them to order so Harriet had dulce de leche and a chocolate covering.

Back down in the town, we went for a wander around. Bariloche is the favourite destination for hundreds of school kids to celebrate their final year. Unlike Australia where they wait until year end to celebrate, bus loads of Argentinian kids arrive every week of the year in Bariloche. They are all over the town and you can tell which group they belong to by the ski gear they have hired with all the kids in the group dressed the same. They are just like teenagers everywhere making lots of noise, teasing the other groups and spending large amounts of money on souvenirs and chocolate. We were very glad that although the apartment is only 2 blocks form town it is really quiet and we don't hear the kids partying which continues until dawn.

Bariloche itself is not a overly attractive town. The trees are beginning to blossom which helps and we were sure snow on the ground would also make it prettier. Most of the town just looks run down. Perhaps a better snow season would have brought more money or perhaps its just the way it is. Again and again as we travel we are reminded how blessed we are to live where we do and how much we take for granted. Some of the trees have been given crocheted wrappers which is a cute thing to do. The other cute thing is the St Bernard dogs. They are all over town so that you can have your picture taken with them. They have barrels around their necks just like the ones in switzerland but we weren't sure if these dogs were trained in mountain rescue. The cutest thing was the puppies. There were several of them. They were just big fur balls and were enough to make anyone go mushy.

We ate at home and then watched a DVD. We haven't been playing cards so much since we got to Argentina, but a change is as good as a rest. The DVD is one of our favourites - the Catherine Tait Show. We watched one episode tonight and should be able to do the same every night we are here to finish the series. It may depend on whether we can stand the quotes from Harriet. We're glad she likes British humour. Otherwise we might have been bothered!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb