Beautiful Bariloche & the gastronomic affair!


Advertisement
Published: January 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bariloche, a place of fond memories, for my brain and for my tastebuds! Just a warning, don't go to Bariloche if you are dieting, the food is just too good. Also, consider giving up being vegetarian for the sake of Alberto's steak restaurant! It really is a gastronomic town, if such thing exists!

Set in front of the big, beautiful Nahuel Huapi lake, and surrounded by mountains, Bariloche is not very big but it is a lovely town and a popular base for skiers. I visited during winter, but I am sure it would be equally pleasant in summertime. Bariloche is a great place from which to take the drive round the seven lakes between San Carlos de Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes (see next blog) and is also close to other peaks with views of the lakes closer by. This time we did not ski, but took the opportunity to walk up Cerro campanario for beautiful views of the lakes, and birds flying overhead, as well as below us. All around were snowy mountains and blue lakes. Well worth a trip up the top, and there is a cable car if you'd rather not walk.

Of
The best steak I have ever eaten!The best steak I have ever eaten!The best steak I have ever eaten!

Alberto's restaurant is a must visit!
our four evenings in Bariloche, I think we visited the same restaurant three times...'Boliche de Alberto', which I can honestly say was best steak I have eaten in my life... Bife de lomo poco hecho por favor! Comes highly recommended. The town of Bariloche is lovely by day and night, with small individual shops and cafes, and a number of chocolate shops too - the region is famous in Argentina for it's chocolate..and it's ice cream....hence, it can be a dangerous place to visit!! There are a lot of groups of youths there for ski holidays but that didn't make a difference to our trip other than the fact there were lots of coaches parked in the streets!

Food aside, San Carlos de Bariloche has a very nice feel to it, and it's setting on the lake that adds an element of calm to the area. I could easily go back for skiing in winter or hiking in summer. It is a beautiful part of the country with lots to explore further afield, but sadly i didn't have the gift of time to do so.

Any trip to this part of Argentina should certainly include a stop in Bariloche.

JHG


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb