Our Journey to the Capital.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones
June 30th 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, since I last blogged we have been a few places so, here we go..........

Saturday 14th June
Arrived Foz do Iguaçu after a 22 hour bus journey and it's freezing, aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!! I'm wearing every item of clothing I own and drinking lots of coffee - but then all I need to do is pee! It's a vicious circle!!
So, when we arrived at the hostel I hit the shower but was greeted by icicles instead of nice, warm, flowing water so I was stuck making the decision, stink or freeze? Hmm, stink or freeze? Not prepared to go full-on, stinky backpacker just yet, I dived in and to add insult to injury, there was a dribble right through the middle of the cold spray, of hot water (it's like, "look what you could have had"). I've since heard that it's a luxury to have hot water so I may smell and have thunder-nips by the end of this trip.
So, off we went to see the Brazillian side of the falls. Entrance, we can't quite remember the price, included a bus ride to the beginning of the three walks. All I can say is Wow! They really are HUGE - like as in a woman's estimation of huge, not a man's! Unfortunately it wasn't a warm day but I can imagine it being even more amazing with the sun on the falls. There were lots of ways to go about seeing the area around the falls ie. you could take a boat ride, or take a trek through different parts of the forest (at a cost). We decided it wasn't warm enough for a boat ride and some of the walks were pricey (and they included a boat ride). So we set off on the walk that was included in the price to get in. One thing to be warned - they charge foreigners to get in but the Brazillians and Argentinians get in free, so basically WE pay for the upkeep of THEIR National Parks. This happens a lot in Brazil/Argentina! My question is - why don't we British do this? Then WE could get a nice FREE day out at one of OUR National Parks instead of taking out a second mortgage. So, I did the typical English complaining, manned with my pen, I wrote a comment card. Yeah, well hard, I know.
Anyway, we took some really cool photo's and had a really good day. We might do a boat trip on the Argentinian side as we've been told it's cheaper and more choice.
So, to finish the day, as we're off to Argentina tomorrow, we decided to go for a nice meal. We found a few restaurants with the same menu sign outside. After further investigation we were told it was an all you can eat buffet of.............wait for it...........SOUP!!!! What is THAT all about??

Sunday 15th June
Arrived in Puerto Iguaçu (Argentina). Border crossing really easy. I know it's a completely different country, but it appears that the Puerto Iguaçu side is much poorer than Foz do Iguaçu in Brazil. Maybe when we move through the country, things will change. We have found so far that it's a lot cheaper here, which is a bonus for backpackers. We spent the rest of the day trying to get money out of the cash point and non of the two in the village worked. Luckily we had US$50 spare so we didn't starve.

Monday 16th June
Didn't really do a lot due to me being full of cold so we took all our washing
Border CrossingBorder CrossingBorder Crossing

Is this bus EVER going to come?
to the Laundrette, partly to save the embarrasment of it walking there itself. Then off we went to find a cashpoint. We ended up at a Casino next to the border. Luckily we won at this cash machine but it would only allow us to take the equivalent of about 60 pounds out (AR$320) which is a pain, but hey, I'm not bothered - I've got clean clothes, woo-hoo.

Tuesday 17th June
Full of cold. Feel crap. It's freezing - and even Steve is wearing a hat and fleece indoors, and this is the guy that walked around a ski resort in his T-shirt! Yes, it really is THAT cold!!
I've been wearing my gloves, hat, and all my clothes possible, plus blankets off the bed. May I add, STINKY blankets! Steve was looking after me so well that he stood there looking at me and I was waiting for the "make me feel better" comments about how beautiful I still look (even though I feel crap) and he looked me up and down, shook his head, and said, "You look like a homeless person." I was not impressed. Not only have I turned into a smelly backpacker, but
Clean Clothes!!Clean Clothes!!Clean Clothes!!

Just for the record, I'm NOT sniffing my pants!
I also look like a homeless tramp with a red nose!!

Wednesay 18th June
Feel a bit better today so I de-tramped and we took ourselves off to the Argentinian side of the falls. AR$40 to get in which included a train to the falls. You can actually walk quicker than the train which Steve kept going on about, as one of the reasons they can charge so much is because the train is included. I secretly enjoyed the train CHOO CHOOOOO and contemplated kicking Steve off it so he could prove you could walk, but I didn't know my way so decided to pretend I was listening to him. It's still freezing, and the river water levels were high so we decided against a boat ride. But it's true, there is more choice of things to do on the Argentinian side. You get REAL close to the falls at one point. I would definately advise waterproofs and be careful with your camera as the spray is real strong.
Anyway, to end the day we stood at a point where you could see the Brazillian walkway and I did the Titty Dance at the Brazillians.
Overall the falls are
Choo Choooooo!Choo Choooooo!Choo Choooooo!

Just smile and nod!
excellent, but for now I'm all waterfalled out!

Thursday 19th June
Travel day. We travelled to our next destination, San Ignacio de Mini. They upgraded us to a "Private Cabin" so all looks promising.

Friday 20th June
Oh my goodness. I'm sure it's even colder here and I can't even make a hot drink in this god-forsaken town. Fashion has gone down the pan completely as I can't bring myself to take off my socks - even in flip-flops aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!
We are in a little village with nothing, and I mean nothing going on. There is just the ruins of an 18th Century Missionary here, that we didn't even end up seeing, as it looked crap! most of the restaurants couldn't be bothered as they closed at about 5pm. The supermarkets were another story. There was meat and fresh fruit right next to each other, with the meat not smelling so fresh. I nearly gagged! This place DEFINATELY not worth a visit as buses out of there are another pain. You just have to wait and hope for the best. It reminded me of the film "House of Wax," but instead of the people being crazed murderer's they were just inter-bred aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!! (webbed feet and everything)!

Saturday 21st June
Yipeeeeee, we have life. We are in Resistencia and have just had the best meal ever in a place called "Bianca." We had two steak meals with a side of chips and salad, a complimentary bread basket, plus a litre of beer for the bargain price of 10 pounds. Also the staff were really friendly, which is always a bonus. Looking forward to tomorrow as we will get to loook around the town a little more.

Sunday 22nd June
I'm traumatised! We have been out sight-seeing the 300 statues and halfway round we got followed by two dogs (big ones may I add). We ignored them to begin with, thinking nothing of it but realised that they weren't going to leave us alone so we dodged down side street after side street and turned round to find more dogs joining in! A total of five on our tails at one point. So, I'm panicking (secretly, so is Steve). We daren't shoo them in case they turn out nasty, so we looked for somewhere open but with it being Sunday, everywhere is closed, and no traffic or locals around. We eventually lost three of the dogs but were stuck with the original two. We passed two locals who pointed and laughed at the dogs following us. Finally somewhere open - a petrol station/cafe. The dogs sat outside, obviously waiting for us as they ignored every other passer-by, even people with bags of food. So we decided to sit it out, with a beer of course, which got us thinking, do we smell? Is that why they are following us? So whilst sniffing our clothes and discussing how bizarre the whole incident was (and by this point we were whispering as I decided the dogs could hear us), the dogs took off with a bloke carrying a packet of crisps. So we made a quick getaway. You just couldn't make it up!

Monday 23rd June
Off to Corrientes to get the bus to Buenos Aires. Can't wait to get there as we think we may stay for ten days. It will be nice to settle for a while, so I'll update you on Buenos Aries before we leave.

PS hopefully there's no dogs!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Flip-flops and socksFlip-flops and socks
Flip-flops and socks

I know, but it's cold!!
ResistenciaResistencia
Resistencia

One of the 300 statues, BEFORE the dogs!
Say CHEESE!Say CHEESE!
Say CHEESE!

Nice and warm.


1st July 2008

sandles & socks!
Hi Aimee, I'm very disappointed that someone as stylish as you would wear sandles and socks! However, it is the most attractive Camel Toe I have ever seen!!!! Glad you and Steve are having a good time, I'm very jealous! Speak to you soon. Ian x

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb