Cataratas de Iguazu


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
August 22nd 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Gargata del DiabloGargata del DiabloGargata del Diablo

pictures don't do it justice...it's just incredible
Well, we made it to beautiful Iguazu Falls, and after 2 days of touring it, we're beat and ready to go back to Buenos Aires. What an amazing trip though! I read so much about the falls before coming, from fellow bloggers and all, and no matter how people describe them, nothing compares to seeing it for yourself. There were many highlights to our 1.5 days at the Iguazu National Park, but the best was the fact that there were literally a million different angles to view the various falls and each view was breathtaking.

We were lucky to hit really good weather...in the 60s and 70s. For winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, that's unusual, but we'll take it! It was cloudy, but the sun was breaking thru at various parts of the day. Shel and I were blown away...very beautiful, and amazing how close you can get to the falls. We did the "Gran Aventura" which includes a safari ride thru the jungle, ride on a boat in the rapids and then the best of all, which was the up close and personal ride to the falls. We took our 2nd shower of the day there and it
another great view of the fallsanother great view of the fallsanother great view of the falls

This was taken from the inferior circuit after the nautical adventure...the boat ride gets you acquainted with the falls in a very personal way ;-)
was just the best part of the trip hands down. They give you bags for your belongings and some people had disposable rain coats, but unfortunately we did not get any and we were soaked from head to toe...Yes, we were wet and cold and not a pretty site to look at, but it was totally worth it! The force of the mist alone was so strong that it made it very difficult to see...I can't even imagine what it would be like to be hit by the full force of just the small falls...

I guess at this time of the year, the rivers are swollen so the falls were even more spectacular and powerful than in other times of the year. Unfortunately, it also meant that there was more mist around, so it made it harder to see the falls clearly at times...but doesn't take away from it's beauty one bit.

The park is laid out well. They have well marked walking trails...the superior and inferior trails. Both lead to more amazing views of the falls and take you up close to a couple of them. Dos Hermanas and Salto Bossetto in particular. The Salto Bossetto was very cool from the lower trail...if you can brave getting soaked again, you can walk to the end of the catwalk and get your 3rd shower for the day...I didn't, but Shel did. He said it was pretty awesome because it was so loud and you just felt like you were engulfed in the falls.

We are staying are Hotel Riotropic and when we first got here, I wasn't really sure we made the right choice, but we did. It's been really relaxing and a much more authentic experience than if we stayed at one of the mainstream hotels closer to town. This place is about a mile or so off the main road, and there is a dirt road that takes you to it. Along the way, you can get a glimpse of Argentine rural life. There are many small houses that have chickens and roosters, etc. It's not the nicest looking area, but it's a slice of life here. The Riotropic is a quaint hotel....reminds me of a log cabin in the woods. The owners are lovely poeple and were very gracious....even letting us check out late since our flight is not until 6:35pm tonight. I'm
bridge on the superior circuit... bridge on the superior circuit... bridge on the superior circuit...

no matter where you went, you found yet another amazing view
currently writing this from a laptop at the hotel, which I'm using for free. Anyway, there is a small swimming pool, which I thought wouldn't be open since it's supposed to be winter here, but since the weather is abnormally warm, it's open. There were some American tourists in there the day we checked in.

The town center in Puerto Iguazu is not very big. We spent our last 2 evenings there and pretty much walked around most of the commercial streets. The first night we got here, we went into town right after we checked in. We found a chill little bar/resto called Terra and had a drink and snack there. We ate at Aqva at the recommendation of Remy the hotel owner, and the food was very tasty. The restaurant manager or owner, George, was very friendly and spoke to us for a bit. The next night, we walked around town for a while and then decided to eat at Terra. The atmosphere is really laid back and had a very bohemian feel to the place. The restaurant owner was cool and made us feel welcome.

Getting around is not too difficult. We kinda tried various
a mariposa on the handraila mariposa on the handraila mariposa on the handrail

they were abundant in the park...never seen so many in my life
modes so far... First day we got here, we had a remise (driver Carlo) pick us up from the airport (arranged by Remy) and take us to town. Then, we got a taxi back to the hotel. The next day, Carlo took us to the waterfalls, but then we took the bus back, which drops us off at the main road and we walked back to the hotel. Today, we took the bus to and from the falls. Aside from the slight hiccup of the strikers blocking the road to the entrance of the falls, things went pretty smoothly.

All in all, we have had a great trip to Iguazu Falls...nothing to really complian about...yet 😊

Now, back to BA for another 5 days, before we head back home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

BA in the backgroundBA in the background
BA in the background

from the Aeroparque airport (domestic John Newberry)
yummy heladoyummy helado
yummy helado

snacking at the airport
TerraTerra
Terra

cool little resto/bar
yummy steak!yummy steak!
yummy steak!

Shel really enjoyed this one...
At the cataratas (waterfalls)At the cataratas (waterfalls)
At the cataratas (waterfalls)

Garganta del Diablo from afar


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb