Desert, Mountains, and School


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It’s been a busy and fun couple of weeks. The weather has been remarkably warm considering that these past two weeks coincide with the Christmas Holiday period in the Northern Hemisphere.

Scott arrived from Massachusetts on the 15th bringing his guitar, an electric drum set and our new piano synthesizer. The men at customs had never seen one person bring in so much equipment. They were in the process of grilling Scott about the equipment when Julio arrived and helped explain to the unique situation that we have set up here. Scott, with all his enthusiasm and energy has been a great addition to the group here. It’s been great to spend time with him again!

Two weekends ago, Julio drove the group out to the Sand Dunes at the National Park north of Lavalle. It was a flawless day for an excursion. There was no one else at the park, and we took some great photos. On Mondays we have been attending the language exchange at the Institute. It's been a great place to make new friends, learn new phrases and laugh a lot. We continue to expand our Spanish vocabularies on a daily basis thanks to Julio, Marta, Claudia and others here who have been incredibly patient and helpful.

These past two weeks we've been to the Carlos Gonzales School four times to begin setting up and working on our volunteer projects. Our first project has been to renovate and paint the basketball court at the school. On Friday, we finished painting the lines and an Argentine flag at the center of the court. We will be putting rims up this week. Each time we visit the school we get to spend time with the kids. They are growing less shy with each new visit. It's amazing to see how happy and enthusiastic they are in spite of their difficult circumstances. We will be attending the Nueve de Julio celebration at the school basketball court next week. The Nueve de Julio is Argentina’s equivalent of our Fourth of July Independence Day Holiday. There will be a fiesta with dances performed by the students of the school.

The music room has seen a lot of action these past two weeks. We are all much more comfortable with using pro tools now and have begun a lot of projects. We hope to have some samples of our recordings on line later this month.
This past weekend the guys went up to the mountains to hike deeper into the Andes near Porterillos. It was another beautiful day there are some great photos of this hike which turned out to be a lot harder than the pictures convey.

Until next time, chao!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th July 2007

Basketball court
Hi Rich, You have to know when I saw the center of the BB court I got pretty excited. You guys did a great job of painting the flag of Argentina on the center circle. It looks awesome! Whenever you come up with a need for the school (Carlos Gonzales) let me know and we can start working on it. Again the pictures are incredible and I appreciate your descriptions that coincide. Glad to hear your Spanish is coming along as well! Take Care, Trent

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb