Escape from Cordoba!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba
May 22nd 2005
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gerry and Denise's Journey so far


Salta, north west ArgentinaSalta, north west ArgentinaSalta, north west Argentina

Set in a beautiful location by the mountains, this photo was taken at the top of the cable car.
Having got to the last week of our 4 week language school in Cordoba we couldn´t take any more punishment, so we plotted our early escape on the Tuesday! We said our goodbyes and adios´s and fled to Villa General Belgrano, a beautiful Germanesque little village in the sierras. Apparently some German naval officers who escaped the sinking of the Graf Spee battleship during the Second World War settled here (and reproduced!). Defintely the best housing in Argentina!

We stayed there for a few days then flew from Cordoba to Salta, in the north west of Argentina (about 1500kms from Buenos Aires). Salta La Linda (Salta the Fair) has some lovely old colonial buildings. We took the cable car to the top of the nearest mountain, Cerro San Bernardo (1500m or 4500ft), with stunning views overlooking the city, and stayed for the sun to set behind the mountains in the distance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Iglesia y Convento San Francisco, SaltaIglesia y Convento San Francisco, Salta
Iglesia y Convento San Francisco, Salta

One of the most beautiful religious buildings in Argentina.
Denise up the Trail of the Virgin (who´s she trying to kid?) Denise up the Trail of the Virgin (who´s she trying to kid?)
Denise up the Trail of the Virgin (who´s she trying to kid?)

At Villa General Belgrano. Edited with Adobe Photoshop!
Our hotel in Villa General BelgranoOur hotel in Villa General Belgrano
Our hotel in Villa General Belgrano

This was a great place, very good value, very friendly and helpful staff and one of the best decorated hotels we´ve been in.
Dog, Villa General BelgranoDog, Villa General Belgrano
Dog, Villa General Belgrano

This dog took us a walk all round the village and up the Trail of the Virgin, as it was doing so it attacked every car that passed!
Gerry at the top of the Trail of the VirginGerry at the top of the Trail of the Virgin
Gerry at the top of the Trail of the Virgin

The white thing is supposed to be the Virgin, Virgin aeroplane more like!
Denise on bike with the Trail of the Virgin in the background.Denise on bike with the Trail of the Virgin in the background.
Denise on bike with the Trail of the Virgin in the background.

We hired bikes for a day, cycled a few hundred yards and being quite exhausted stopped at a welcoming cafe and had goulash and beer!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb