Beunos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 4th 2011
Published: February 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our first week in Beunos Aires has been hectic to say the least. We've been commuting from a "barrio" suberb called Malabia by "Subte" underground every day for our Spanish Classes in the city centre. The Subte is the busiest we've been on and is one of the oldest,dirtiest and hottest! 4 intense hours per morning, lunch, then touristy things whilst practicing the lingo has been our routine for the week. We've enjoyed it so much that we're doing another week of lessons starting Monday. So over the weekend we're moving to a spanish family in Palermo somewhere for a "homestay" which should challenge the language further. So this is a Snipit of what we've seen so far.
We were lucky to tag along at the back of a "spanish' tour of the Casa Rosada which is where Eva Perron spoke to the people from the balcony about 1945 I think .Like a lot of things we've been doing it wasn't planned, which made it better. I think the palace has been painted pink, very striking in a dominantly grey surrounding. We also found Eva Perrons resting place at the very fancy and creepy Recoleta Cemetery. Recoleta is a rich suberb of BA and thats exactly who could afford to buy buriel plots and build mini mansions to house the families deceased. The cemetary cats were distracting Lynn, they needed a bit of TLC.
Last Sunday we took a tube to San Juan and walked the rest to Plaza Dorrego for the "Sunday Market". Sundays are very quiet in cities in S.America as we dicovered in Santiago, so when we walked round the corner to find thousands shopping it was a surprise. Mostly antique watches, copper, glass and clothes plus lots of art were for sale, we might go again this Sunday! The area of Plaza Domingo is in the San Telmo Barrio and is famous for its architecture and resident artists.
The Av 9 de Julio is 12 lanes wide and straight. It has an Obelisco in the centre which was built in 1936 and is 68m tall. Its where all the football fans congegrate after a win. Its nothing special for visitors but is very symbolic for Agentinians as it commerates the discovery of Argentina by Mendoza in 15th Centuary. Its best to see this when its quieter as crossing the roads is tricky. Next week we are going to visit museums parks and we'll see. More news on the Spanish School as well, untill then, Chow


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th February 2011

blacksash7@gmail.com
This place looks amazing, thanks for sharing! Safe travels.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb