The of Spring and Curry


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
August 2nd 2005
Published: August 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

So monday Adriana, one of the Argentine women who look after us, took me to a meeting at my Jewish school, School Beth. The head of English was a woman called Grace. She asked me questions about my cv, so i tried to make Canvasland sound as impressive as possible - theres only so much u can big up Hoopi club tho. Still, she got really enthusiastic when i said i wanted to be a Primary teacher - extra brownie points!

After lunch i went with Lisa to a home for girls called El Pilar, we were literally dropped off at the door, shown the room full of 15 year old girls, and left to our own devices! Sat ourselves down with a couple of girls and tried to talk to them. at first they just spoke Spanish, and so did i coz i was scared to demand they talk in English. But then i found some backbone and asked her (Angelica) to show me her English work. She opened up more, and i helped her with stuff she had trouble on - unsurprisingly, asking and answering questions. So i made her ask loads of questions (see, i listen to u mum!), and made up some grammar rules (probably completely wrong but i was on the spot!) it descended into anarchy when they got very giggly and asked us all about music - a favourite topic, shoving pens under my nose in a microphone stylee and demanding we sing! When it was time to go, they hounded us for ´just one more minute!´ and then asked me if i knew The Of Spring. I was so utterly confused, repeating it over and over. I turned to Lisa and asked if she´d heard of The Of Spring. ´What, the Offspring?´ she replied. i hung my head in shame. They wanted us to sing their songs too, but i didnt think the lyrics were particularly suitable so i pretending i couldnt remember. It was such a good experience, the girls were so excited when i said i would be back every Monday.

We left at about half 7, and it was already really dark. The home is in the neighbourhood of la Boca, a place which you are notoriously advised against going to at night. So we waited nervously for the bus for half an hour. i kept on flagging down the wrong buses coz my eyesight is atrocious and i couldnt read the numbers from far away (you have to flag far in advance). they all just flashed at me.
We got home and got ready to go out, i met two of the girls who´d been away for the weekend, Sarah and Alice - both lovely, and me and Lisa went with them and Paul, Chris and Jo to have curry. Then we met the others at a bar down our road for one. had to call it an early night at about 1am, coz i knew i had to go to my hospital placement today.

So this morning i got up, went and got a paper for any interesting stories i could talk about with The Doctors. Met two other girls, Kaushal and Katy who´d also been away. Adriana took me to the hospital and we waited for Sergio the haematologist to turn up in his white lab coat with pens in the pocket and unlock the classroom (it doubles as a counselling room - very apt for me, standing there s**tting myself). We waited for 20 mins for anyone else to turn up, but no-one did. Apparently there´d been an emergency that morn, so Sergio said he´d threatened the other doctors to come next week or never again. So off i went home again, and have just been faffing around a bit. Should really look round the city a bit more....

thats all for now, sorry if this is a bit long and boring, tune in soon for another exciting installment!

Em
xxxx

Advertisement



3rd August 2005

Ahhh... now I get the topic ;-)

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb