Hello buenos aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
July 23rd 2005
Published: July 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

well guys, i made it to buenos aires. i can not believe that i have been here for a week. time went by so fast. the city is wonderful. sure it does suck that i gave up my summer to go to winter and try and learn spanish, but honestly i could not be happier. i am staying in the middle of the city next to the congress building. in my residence hall, hay muchas personas from everywhere. there are probably about 22 people living here. mainly brazillians from sao paulo or rio. there are also three english girls (one of them just graduated at the top of her class at oxford), one girl from luxembourge, one guy from germany, one irish, and then 4 other americans. they are all so nice and we are one big happy family.

i have also met lots of people at the school from the same places. one thing i have to say- the germans are crazy. they really study alot and are hardcore about learning the language... school is okay. i am level two spanish and they speak and explain everything in spanish. here, they speak with a different accent. its confusing at first. for example, the ll sounds like y, but here the sound is a sh... okay if you were to say ella, you do not say eh-ya. you say eh-sha. the y are pronounced like that as well so yo is sho.

now about the city. its very big and easy to get around and find things. it is very safe. of course like all cities there are bad parts, bt there are not alot here and you can take a taxi alone at night. and just use common sense. it is like new york. all tall buildings and everyone lives in an apartment. walking the streets is amazing. the buildings are so pretty. you have ancient old one influenced from spain, italy, france, england and then new modern ones right next to each other. i love it. the food here is very bland. everything is meat, itallian, fried or dulce de leche. it is hard to find some fresh, good vegetables. you dont eat breakfast, dinner is late usually starts around 21:30- 23 and takes a long time. they have these really good things called empanadas. they are like hot pockets, mini calzones. one thing i have to say, personally i do not like much alcohol, but everything i have tasted so far is great. the local beer, quilmes is light and good taste. they also have good wine.

well it is really cheap here. $1 us is about 3 pesos. yesterday i had this big steak dinner probably $35 US for $5. the shopping is great also. i had my full body waxed- eyebrows, arms, legs for 20 pesos (about $7) electronics like cameras and ipods are expensive. and the mailing prices are outrageous.

i went to my first dance club with the brazillians. finally i place where i can dance. it is not like the american dancing where you dont really dance, you grind with a guy. here you have space between and you move and do whatever you feel like. it is great. they play alot of american songs. in fact, the american culture is everywhere. the music, most tv shows are from the states with spanish subtitles. everyone i have meet says o your from california near OC.. (the tv show is so popular). then i went to a couple of bars and it was fun to talk to argentinans. they were nice and patient with me. bars or places are quite until about midnight or 1 adn then the turn up the music and turn down the lights and people dance or talk at tables. you leave at like 4 or 5 in the morning... ( i definitly have not slept much my first week).

the guys here- so cute. (es muy gato en portuguse)the haircuts are inspired by mullets. some are pretty interesting. they are also very aggressive.

last wednesday was dia de amigos. friends day. so there were discounts and specials. for dinner everyone got together from the residence and made something from their culture. then we went out.


Advertisement



24th July 2005

Oh my gosh! That sounds awesome! You are truly experiencing the culture! I love your TravelBlog... thanks for making one! I feel like I'm getting the Real World Buenos Aires version instead of some vague "it was cool!" story! I love you and miss you!
24th July 2005

i enjoyed this journal
it was really interesting what you wrote, i'm trying to figure out where to go to learn spanish. i'm in the usa, but i'm hungarian, and i love argentinian spanish. can you tell me a good language school there? or some more about argentina?

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb